Struggling to mix and master my track :( Apparently it's too bassy in a car ??!

nainaKay

So my uncle called me today and explained how he couldn't hear my voice on the track, as the bass was excessive in his car and on stereo ?

I'm mixing using AKG k141 headphones, It sounds fine through them and on my laptop... I should probably reference off some monitors but i'm currently not near my studio.

From what I can see the channel Levels seem fine and EQ. Something I'm obviously doing wrong :s

Also how do I use the LFS Meter :s It's showing a lot of yellow.

Please listen to the track and help me!

I know I sound like a dying cat unfortunately no one can help with that.

Thank you !!! N.

Attachments

• The Light _ Naina_Kader .mp3
    2.4 MB · Views: 17
  • Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 17.43.22.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 17.43.22.png
    422.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 17.44.08.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 17.44.08.png
    93.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 17.48.02.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 17.48.02.png
    113.4 KB · Views: 29
I don't really like the reverb effect on the voice. I'd like the voice to be clearer. The voice by itself is not my taste either. Also, The voice is really loud compared to the instruments. So I guess I do recognize the feedback about the volumes there. Bass? What bass?
Don't know about the meter. I know in Reason you can ignore it, but I don't anyway. Rather mix too low on volume cuz that's easier to fix. As long as the individual instruments and vocals are in balance to each other and at the right volume as you want em.
The headphones are good. As you said, for proper reference, you need monitors. But, there's something you can do. I read you use those headphones and a laptop? Internal soundcard of your laptop? Internal soundcards and definitely laptop soundcards are well known to suck big time. You'd help your on the road mixing a lot if you get an external soundcard. Heck, even a headphone amp would help tons already but I'd advice on an external AI as I wouldn't trust the DAC of the internal soundcard.

I don't really like the reverb effect on the voice. I'd like the voice to be clearer. The voice by itself is not my taste either. Also, The voice is really loud compared to the instruments. So I guess I do recognize the feedback about the volumes there. Bass? What bass?
Don't know about the meter. I know in Reason you can ignore it, but I don't anyway. Rather mix too low on volume cuz that's easier to fix. As long as the individual instruments and vocals are in balance to each other and at the right volume as you want em.
The headphones are good. As you said, for proper reference, you need monitors. But, there's something you can do. I read you use those headphones and a laptop? Internal soundcard of your laptop? Internal soundcards and definitely laptop soundcards are well known to suck big time. You'd help your on the road mixing a lot if you get an external soundcard. Heck, even a headphone amp would help tons already but I'd advice on an external AI as I wouldn't trust the DAC of the internal soundcard.

Thank you for this ...

I have an external audio interface a Presonus Audiobox. Im listening to my mix through there. I don't mix using the internal audio card. I only playback sometimes via the laptop to hear the difference from the AKG's, as they have more of a mid to low range then the laptop.

So I'm guessing the main problem must be the vocals... I used, echo tape delay and reverb ?? maybe one tooooo many ? and maybe they need mixing better and some low end rolled off, as someone else has said the vocals are to bassy.

Thank you for this ...

I have an external audio interface a Presonus Audiobox. Im listening to my mix through there. I don't mix using the internal audio card. I only playback sometimes via the laptop to hear the difference from the AKG's, as they have more of a mid to low range then the laptop.

So I'm guessing the main problem must be the vocals... I used, echo tape delay and reverb ?? maybe one tooooo many ? and maybe they need mixing better and some low end rolled off, as someone else has said the vocals are to bassy.

There you go, go do it, put it online again and let us listen :D

There's a lot of subby bass on this, but it's so low that it's barely audible in my headphones (not my mixing cans, but they're fine); the voice is certainly loud enough, but there's a lot of low-end mud in it. I'm guessing your uncle has a big-ass bass boost in his car and it's bringing out both the subs and the mud in the voice, hence the mess.

There's a lot of subby bass on this, but it's so low that it's barely audible in my headphones (not my mixing cans, but they're fine); the voice is certainly loud enough, but there's a lot of low-end mud in it. I'm guessing your uncle has a big-ass bass boost in his car and it's bringing out both the subs and the mud in the voice, hence the mess.

could a boost of 3.5 DB at 41. 5 Hz on the vocals be the culprit ?! No wonder I couldn't hear it in my headphones and like a dimwit the same Q is on the on the beat too :pointing:

Yes he has a Bose sound system with a subwoofer, bit of a drum and bass lover... his windows were rattling :berzerk:Screen Shot 2017-02-23 at 14.25.07.png

That explains why I couldn't hear it :D Noob mistake from my part. It was too late to turn my speakers on so I didn't. Even though you said you only heard it on your headset :rolleyes:
I think you have a lot of good feedback from everyone.
Tweak with current knowledge and please post your new track so we can hear our feedback put into good work :D I'm at least curious now on how you succeed :D

That explains why I couldn't hear it :D Noob mistake from my part. It was too late to turn my speakers on so I didn't. Even though you said you only heard it on your headset :rolleyes:
I think you have a lot of good feedback from everyone.
Tweak with current knowledge and please post your new track so we can hear our feedback put into good work :D I'm at least curious now on how you succeed :D

I will do, excited to see how it will turn out.

Feedback has been really helpful already, I've stripped the vocals and beat back I'm going to mix it again making sure I look out for the mid and low end! Try to brighten it up and make the vocals clearer.

Once I'm in my studio next week I will have monitors to hear the progress properly, it will be interesting comparing the before and after.

I've been looking into how I can make the vocals sit right in the mix.

The voice defo needs work... looking into vocal lessons :)

Listening to your song, I can't feel much the bass with my KRKs, but the voice is very present, it's pleasent to be listen, I liked, but the voice is a little loud. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
@nainaKay --> Struggle no more...well at least get you to the next struggle.

@nainaKay - As you can see there are some really talented people here with a plethora of of talent, the breadth and depth of the knowledge you can get from this little part of internet paradise is really something you really want to try and exploit. I come here for many hours and just go through the forums and read. I would consider myself a novice at best and I am probably a little bit older than many here and way behind the power curve and don't have the countless hours, over decades that, some, (many), people have in the industry on here.I have always had a passion and love for music and always wanted to do music for a living in some sort of fashion. Then I had a somewhat rational human moment or, and I do have my moments sporadically, I realized that I also needed to eat and put a roof over my head, pay the bills and live. No one was going to be paying me enough for even a city bus ride much less a decent job in the industry so a fan and observer is how I would have to ride it out for a really long time. I come from a completely different background which had nothing to with music at all. I finally am able to pursue my dream which at the very least nothing will be more then a very passionate hobby and for just the absolute pure joy and pleasure music gives me everyday. I am lucky, thankful and ever so grateful to awake from my bed everyday and put 2 feet on the ground and have another day where I can enjoy some music. This forum is a goto place on the WWW to come if you are trying to learn but it is also a very good idea and important to have the basics down and do a little reading and research or like in my case A LOT of reading & research . It will enable you to be able to ask the right question and speak the industry lingo and really articulate yourself and get excellent input on this forum, if not the best it is in that upper echelon. So if I can just say that the best thing you can do is get those basics not from just here but from one of many sites that have some the industry guru's with some excellent reading for free, 1 of my favorite resources, (and there are many), is Audiofanzine this is an excellent resource though, it has helped me immensely and continues to do so, and if you are a novice like me it will really, really, help you out and it will enrich your experience here when interacting with people that really know their stuff, just my 2 cents worth in how it will help you become better at your craft and enrich everything you do moving forward. Keep up the hard work, remember, chop wood, carry water everyday and you will get the pay back in each and everyday. Just thought I would share with you what has helped me learn and grow and maybe you can save yourself lots of time and a whole bunch of consternation . That link will help you struggle no more, at mixing and mastering, or at least get you to some new and more complex struggles. :cool:

Recording & Mixing feature articles - Audiofanzine

"I Will Not Let Anyone Walk Through My Mind With Their Dirty Feet. - Mahatma Gandhi

Listening to your song, I can't feel much the bass with my KRKs, but the voice is very present, it's pleasent to be listen, I liked, but the voice is a little loud. Just my opinion.

I think the reason for not hearing the Bass on the KRK's 8s is because of the frequency response on those monitors at its lowest is 44Hz. I had boosted at 41.5Hz I would have never in a million years heard that on headphones. The reason my uncle picked it up immediately when playing it in his car as because he has a sub. ( going to invest in a sub for my monitors now.)

I agree the voice is loud, after taking some time away from the track I can hear that to.

Thank you, I just need to take my time on the mixing.

Yup, that 41hz boost will probably contribute nothing to the sound of the vocals, but it'll surely mess up the mix & eat up your headroom :)

Back