Steve Albini vs. Scott Litt's mix on Nirvana's In Utero

minervx

From what I know, Albini was originally hired to be the exec producer of the album. The record company found it unsellable and even the members of the band ended up feeling lukewarm about. So then Scott Litt was hired to remix All Apologies and Heart-Shaped Box for radio singles. The remaining songs were remastered to keep Albini's framework, but raising the volume of the bass and vocals. Albini's version of Pennyroyal Tea stayed on the album, but Litt mixed the planned single version.

Albini's mix focused on a high dynamic range with loud drums, weak bass, naked vocals. He wanted a more natural sound that sounded like what they created in the studio. Litt's mix was more loud, compressed, had lots of reverb all around; and more balanced overall. On the singles Heart-Shaped Box and All Apologies, I feel like Kurt's vocal presence was benefited from Litt's remix. Pennyroyal Tea never needed a remix from Litt. The remaining songs on the album were mixed by Albini and they're fantastic.

The executive producer is just that-- an "executive" (such as an A&R director or VP) that "oversees" the production of an album, but really has no day-to-day involvement with album production whatsoever... It is basically an honorary title, and is not a royalty-bearing credit.

Steve Albini is notoriously anti-hit single and anti-establishment. If the record company told him that the record needed more bass, I'm sure he'd turn it down even more. It's hard to believe that may not be a factor in the mix history that you have presented.

Back