stereo issue with string sample

loekthuss

i have this string sample which doensn't really work in mono as it changes the character of the sound quite a lot, also the level jumps. usually i will cut my losses and deal with it but in this case my whole track falls apart. i have tried to fix it (without result) by switching the phase of one channel and with mid side eq (cutting all of the side information). changing the phase of the right channel did nothing oddly enough. can someone explain what's going on and maybe how to fix it?
i have the part in mono and stereo in the attachments.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• strings mono.mp3
    354 KB · Views: 28
  • strings stereo.mp3
    354 KB · Views: 29
Phase cancellation is typical when summing a stereo track to mono. The clip honestly didn't lose that much in comparison to more serious issues I've run into. After briefly playing around with the clip I managed to come up with something that might not lose as much of the character of the original sound when summed to mono. I just used a chorus effect and and a hall reverb after reducing the content on the sides.

I'll let you be the judge of this though...

Attachments

• String Mono.mp3
    354.1 KB · Views: 25
  • String stereo.mp3
    354.1 KB · Views: 28
It sounds like a string sound from an older sound module. These typically had very short waveforms since the entire rom space was limited to 1-2megabytes. For stereo, the same sample would be used with reverb or some other effect to create a stereo effect. So, yeah, it's probably cancelling out when it goes to mono.

Why not export one channel to a single mono channel, import it, and then just use that to create your own stereo sound? You can either add a stereo reverb to it, or use two mono channels panned differently with one having different processing and/or effects.

Phase cancellation is typical when summing a stereo track to mono. The clip honestly didn't lose that much in comparison to more serious issues I've run into. After briefly playing around with the clip I managed to come up with something that might not lose as much of the character of the original sound when summed to mono. I just used a chorus effect and and a hall reverb after reducing the content on the sides.

I'll let you be the judge of this though...

it's not exactly what i'm after but its close enough to give it a try, i'll try to roughly replicate what you did and probably tweak it a bit so it fit's in my track. i'll post a the result when i think iv'e got it right.

It sounds like a string sound from an older sound module. These typically had very short waveforms since the entire rom space was limited to 1-2megabytes. For stereo, the same sample would be used with reverb or some other effect to create a stereo effect. So, yeah, it's probably cancelling out when it goes to mono.

Why not export one channel to a single mono channel, import it, and then just use that to create your own stereo sound? You can either add a stereo reverb to it, or use two mono channels panned differently with one having different processing and/or effects.

having two mono sources treated differently also sounds interesting, i think i'll do a little shootout for my self as to what works best. about the sound coming from an old sampler: that could be the case, unfortunately i think this is also what gives the sample a disco like character which i like and my track is relying on for it to work.

Thank you for replying!
i'll post the results of what i went with when i get it right

okay, i think i have something decent here.

i mono'ed the channel en routed it to three new channel strips:
1. a fully wet reverb panned hard left.
2. a fully wet delay panned hard right.
3. a bus channel where they al come together including the original dry sound.

the effect is that now in mono the strings have a bit of ambiance on them, but in stereo they sound nice and wide.

oh and, Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• strings mono new.mp3
    354 KB · Views: 17
  • strings stereo new.mp3
    354 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Back