Step-by-step to mixing vocals

flying_dreams

Hey people!

I recently put together this short guide to mixing vocals! It's basically a short-hand version of what I've learned over the last 7-8 years of production, so just want to help you guys quickly learn what took me so long!

Check it out here!

Hope you like it :)

Amazing read! I really appreciate the references as well. Midnight is a gem! I can't wait to apply some of the compression tech to my work. Thanks so much for this!!

Good article/blog.
Missing the one technique that makes my vocals stand out the most though: Sidechain compression towards tracks that interfere. Immensively important in many/most of todays styles.
2 big advantages for this in my mixes:
1) You don´t have to strangle that frequency area when the vocal mix does not "sing" and
2) Using absolutely just the necessary amount of SCC this way vocals pops out fantastically clear without hearing obviously that SCC was used.

FYI: The below track did not use this technique. I wasn't aware of it at that time 4 years ago. Still I think I made the vocals clear enough. Mostly because there wasn´t too much going on in the vocals frequency area. In other words, I tried to fix it through the arrangement.

Last edited:
Back