Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Soundtracs Solitaire 32ch --- urgent decision to make

Thanks

Soundtracs Solitaire 32ch --- urgent decision to make

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi guys, I have a VERY urgent decision to make (still today):

Soundtracs Solitaire 32ch

I can buy a Soundtracs Solitaire in MINT condition for a - relatively of course - very reasonable price ( $3,000) but I have to decide today; I heard and read so much great things about it, but I was going the digital way... Should I wait with digital and get this one and an A/D converter ?

Please I'm asking - for once - help me as fast as you can !!

Thanks.
    I feel MOOG'ed today...
    http://www.myspace.com/thmsynthfreak

Thanks
    Well it seems really nice.. but massive :: I Hope you have plenty of space to put it : : :

I like that it has gating built int (only if it's got the onboard sections.. I'm not sure how many versions of it they made) .. but good gating isn't as important if your not going to tape. You can edit out everything you need if your recording to Harddrive.
    - I dislike the EQ section. You can't set your Q at all. (or from the pictures it doesn't seem like it).. which is something you can do with virutally every digital console.

ASk yourslef how much work you actually do in the computer :: If you're answer if like 90%.. go digital:: becasue chances are it'll have MMC, and you can set up your sequencer to accept the changes from the mixer... intergrating your hands-on hardware.. and your computer interface...

But it's a great price.. if you think you could re-sell it for more:: give it a try, and use the profit for digital gear if that is what you decide... Try it out, and if you don't like the workflow.. sell it off, You're almost guarenteed to AT LEASt make your money back on it. There is a HUge learning curve for digital mixers tho.. so keep that in mind if you'll have clients comming in to do paying work.
    [URL="http://www.thesounddesign.com"]Sound Design & Mastering[/URL]

Thanks
    The Soundtracs Solitaire looks like a fine mixer for that price. The meter bridges are definitely a plus, and it looks pretty roomy in there.

I'd go for it personally, but that's just me.

Thanks
    Me personally, I definitely prefer having an analog mixer to work with. I've used digital mixer before, and the automation capabilities were great, but when I'm mixing, I use my analog beast (even though I track in Pro Tools.)

Why?

Well...

Your subgroups and aux sends/returns occur with no latency. This is very important to my mixing style, as I like to blend several versions of a track. For example: split the kick drum to 2 channels. Use 1 channel for your supa-compressed "slappy" attack kick. Then use the second as a scoopy, more natural kick, then blend them. It's much easier to get your desired result, while the sound doesn't become "over-processed"-sounding. Same with the snare: split it, let one be the "snap", the other the "thump".

Also, I like to make a submix of the drums with an aux send: lotsa kick, lotsa snare, a bit of room (or re-amped, re-recorded mix... but that's another story). Then you compress the submix like crazy, and mix it back in. Now you have both the crazy-pumping-compressed sound, along with a natural sound space. Best of both worlds.

I like to send the main vocal to an analog distortion unit, and maybe a compressor, then blend the distorted signal back in behind the vocal. It adds grit and presence, while the vocal is still very intelligible and present. Again, best of both worlds.

None of these techniques could be used in a digital mixing console, because each digital in and out introduces a slight delay, so recombining the signals sounds much worse. You could do inside a DAW, if you're prepared to do the latency compensation (or if you're prepared to trust your software to do it for you.)

Also...

An analog mix buss sounds much better than a mix "in the box" to me. Even if I just buss stereo pairs to my analog board, then re-record the mix into a pair of inputs, it sounds much better.

I'd go for the Soundtracs, no question. An excellent tool, and you'll learn many valuable techniques by working with an analog board.

My opinion only, of course.

-Hoax

Thanks
    OMFG!

Your subgroups and aux sends/returns occur with no latency.
    There is latency be it small just in the send return path. But if you are running the sends into a processor then there will be a delay there in the AD's and DA's as well this is where most of the delay will come in. In a digital desk many of the processors are onboard and will have a much lower latency.
    Also, I like to make a submix of the drums with an aux send: lotsa kick, lotsa snare, a bit of room (or re-amped, re-recorded mix... but that's another story). Then you compress the submix like crazy, and mix it back in.
    Very easy on a digital desk.
    I like to send the main vocal to an analog distortion unit, and maybe a compressor, then blend the distorted signal back in behind the vocal. It adds grit and presence, while the vocal is still very intelligible and present.
    Easy easy easy
    None of these techniques could be used in a digital mixing console
    Not true, most of that can be done onboard a digital console and this will have "zero" latency, even if you have to bounce out to analog there would be less than 1ms of latency in the entire loop.

Thanks
    THM
    are you sure its a solitaire ? if i remember right those were much more expensive, around 27 to 30 k, very nice desks, and great sounding too, it is based on the soundtracs jade, a killer desk IMO, its not an SSL or a neve but they are certainly professional tools, you can most definitely get great sounding results with one of them....

hey if it's not a scam and the desk is OK what the hell are you waiting for ??? !!!

buy it now ! I'd pick the solitaire over the digital boards you were asking about earlier any day ...
    real men use real hardware

Thanks
    Damn... look at what I was looking:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...category=46956

damn' doubt...
    gone...
    I feel MOOG'ed today...

Thanks
    It's the worst things when gear like that passes us by.

Edit: Sometimes, deals don't go through for whatever reasons. May be worth it to contact the sell via e-mail and let them know that if they're deal doesn't go through, you are interested.

Maybe bump it up slightly to the next hundred amount to get him thinking. If you really want it, you never know, could possibly work.
    Last edited by sleepy; 02-09-2004 at 05:39 AM.

Thanks
    Soundcraft GS-3000 for $3,500

I know where to find a Soundcraft GS-3000 for $3,500 (not on Ebay; I could pick it up and it's a fixed price here in Belgium); is that an interesting option too ?

any +/- ?
    I feel MOOG'ed today...

Thanks
    Or should I rather opt for a Soundcraft GHOST ?

Damn' I need urgently a mixer and I don't know which one... - but it does have to be an excellent one !!

Budget $1,500-$3,500 (really max.)
    I feel MOOG'ed today...

Thread Information