soundcard advise needed

L

lillos

Hi! Me and my friend are trying to find whats the best soundcard for our needs. We are making dance music and we have already sold many cds. Till now we were working for a minor label which was providing as the rec studio. We have now decided to go our way and do everything ourselves. So, here we are searcing for a soundcard that can be used for composing, mixing and mastering. From what we've seen till now, there are some inexpensive cards that prommise to do all these things. The Luna by Creamware is a soundcard that is not expensive and seems good. Considering that we are using softwares like reason, orion ecc, do you think that this card can do the job? What is importand to us is that we get a good output and that the frequency responce is very good so that the music doesnt get muddy with all those bass sounds we use. We want at the end a strong output in decibels and clear sound. We've seen all those cards that cost arround $1000 and they seem good, but we feel we do not realy need all these in/outs that make the price go so high. Can somebody say to us what's the best compromise in our situation?

Go to zzounds.com and get the Yamaha DSP Factory card for $299. They usually go for around $800 but for some reason they are going for next to nothing. You can also pick up the multi i/o breakout box for the card really cheap if you need. The Yamaha is a solid card that's been around for a while, and at this price it's way better than the comperably priced echo cards or any of the soundblaster cards.

Nae get a "Echo"

Hey :)
Yamaha's are decesnt but if your budget is up to 1000$ let me save you some money and help you get an awesome card that has served me very well in the past
Get yourself a "Echo" Darla,Mona or layla the darla is the simplest but they are all of course 96\24 bit with high nominal abillites for that Strong output for clubz comes with acool software if you get the better versions its ofcourse digital I\o and internal digital converters at a 32 bit precision which is perfect for mastering and mixing price you ask ? 500 $ max
Get something good or youll be sorry later soundcards are the heart of your published music
Peace
D-zager
My music : http://www.mp3.com/dzager

Cheap sound cards ...

Hi.

If you're looking for a cheap card that still has good audio fidelity, I'd recommend the Echo MIA. It's a 24/96 card with a pair of outputs on it, and it has clever drivers such that you can use multiple programs with the card at the same time. (ASIO doesn't support this feature though, as far as I know.)

You can also get an M-Audio (a MIDIMAN branch) card, the AudioPhile 24/96 for pretty cheap. This would be your best option for external MIDI gear, as the MIA doesn't have any MIDI outs. On the other hand, you'll probably want to get a more robust MIDI interface anyway. The M-Audio/MIDIMAN site contains a number of good ones.

You expressed your desire to not have "muddy bass". This has nothing to do with your sound card, but everything to do with your mixing and monitors. I suggest investing in a pair of good studio monitors, and possibly a sub-woofer to enhance these.

You can pay anywhere from $300 to $10,000 a pair for near-field monitors. Check out the Mackie HR824's for around $2000 a pair, or in the higher price range, Genelec and Tannoy are some of the most respected makers of near-field monitors.

On the bottom end of the scale, you can get a pair of Yamaha NS-10's (arguably the de-facto standard for passive studio monitoring) for around $300, but they've recently been discontinued, so you'll have to look around to get them new. Also, Tannoy makes a cheap alternative to their high-end in the form of the Tannoy Reveal monitors (both in a passive version and an active version). Upwards from there you might look at the Alesis M1 Active Mk2's, or anything in the Event line. The Event 20/20's are pretty popular in project studios.

What I'm really getting at is that the sound card isn't as important as what is ACTUALLY making the sound -- the speakers.

Take that into consideration when you're buying gear.

-=(stu.macQ)=-

Hmm ... looks like I went a LITTLE bit off topic ...

Back