Sidechain plugin's or sidechain compression?which one gives quality sidechain effect?

Reezy

Hey guys.recently i've been listening to some classic progressive house music of early20's.the sidechain effect caught my attention as it's too pumpy and stable and also clean for the kick.i know alot of producers today use sidechain plugins like kickstart,gross beat etc. but it all sounds quite messy when 2 or 3 instrument's play along.so what do you guys think should i move back to this classic old sidechain style with compressor ?

Correct me if im wrong but I'm pretty sure gross beat is just for the tape slow down/gating effects. I've only seen sidechaining the normal way (sending a track to a ghost channel with a kick and a compressor) and I'm pretty sure that's the best way to go. Keep doing whatever sounds best to you tho! Thats the only thing that really matters. but as far as sidechain quality I would go for the normal compression effect. Don't go over the top though, sidechaining should be subtle and add to the ambiance of a track rather than be overpowering. Hope this helped!

Hey man, I can gladly say that the Kickstart plugin by nicky romero and grossbeat are two of the best sidechain plugins out there imo. Kickstart is one of, if not the most popular sidechain plugin right now. And it's only $15 so look into it. Routing the kick to compressor really does take a long time when trying to fine tune things, so sidechain plugins are the way to go imo. If you're feeling like it's messy then maybe trying using different instances of it and controlling how much each instrument has rather than routing it to a bus of instruments.

Last edited:
Those plugins are for a novice who don't know how to do sidechain the proper way! Simple as that! To do any sidechain, using a compressor, gate, eq, or even effects try google Sidechain compression! Then after you learn how to sidechain properly on your software, use the most comfortable plugin you have and do that sidechain nice and clean.

Those plugins are for a novice who don't know how to do sidechain the proper way! Simple as that! To do any sidechain, using a compressor, gate, eq, or even effects try google Sidechain compression! Then after you learn how to sidechain properly on your software, use the most comfortable plugin you have and do that sidechain nice and clean.

Say that to some of the best House producers right now. Kick to compressor sidechaining is considered the oldschool way now. It's never been about what is easier or faster, but about what results work better. These plugins simply work a trillion times better.

Last edited:
These plugins simply work a trillion times better.

+1. There's also "Xfer Lfo Tool" which is really good for this task IMHO.

but it all sounds quite messy when 2 or 3 instrument's play along.
Could you elaborate a little more on this? What exactly do you mean by "messy"?

On a side note, most of the early dancemusic's pumping sound came from the Alesis 3630 - a really cheap (and pretty bad sounding) outboard compressor. Maybe this thing could be the ticket to the sound you're after?

Back