Sidechain Filters? Super easy question I'm assuming

Yumid

Almost embarrassed to ask this because I should know but I don't ever recall being told anything about this before.

So this is probably a very easy question, and I know I can understand the answer if it was just told to me but I am having a hard time getting info to find out what side chain filters are for? Im sure this series will explain it in a later video but I want to know now because the guy keeps mentioning it and its annoying me.

Im watching Compression Explained right now and he keeps bringing up Low pass filters and High pass filters (among other filter options) related to the side chain setting on a compressor. I know what filters are of course, but when speaking in terms of side chaining what exactly are these filters filtering?

Take the stock Pro Tools Dyn3 Compressor/Limiter for example. There is a side chain section but then within that side chain section there is a High shelf and a Low shelf filter. What exactly is being filtered in relation to side chaining?

I kind of over explained for just a simple question, but it seems like its going to be such an obvious answer so I wanted to be sure my question wasn't misunderstood.

You don't need to explain to me what side chaining or anything is. All i wanna know is what the filters are referring to on the side chain, and what gets filtered when you use them.

EDIT: I think I get it now, figured it out. I think i get what my problem was. I was thinking of side chaining too much as an effect rather than the Detection circuit that it actually is. When I think of it as a detection circuit it makes a lot more sense what the filters do.

Last edited:
Yeah seems you figured it out. You can sidechain a lot of things like that and it's not uncommon to use a high pass filter in that fashion to duck only the bass part of the sounds to a kick for example.

Back