Shure SM58 suddenly broke?

GazOfficial

Metalhead
Hello,

I have a problem with my Shure SM58 mic I owned for almost 3 years now. It used to work fine however, all of sudden I was recording my guitar straight from an amp using shure (I know not the best mic to record guitars) after recording the first take, the second take was too high in pitch.

I tried it on vocals and it still high in pitch. It sounds like a very cheap mic. I tried the mic connected straight to my amp and it sounded normal. Basically Im not really sure what is wrong here is it the mic or the audio interface or the software it self?

I use:
- Macbook pro mid 2012 ( 16GB ram and 500GB SSD)
- Lexicon alpha sound interface.
- Shure SM58 microphone.
- Logic pro.

any help? thanks.

If i were you i would contact Shure and see if you can send it in for repair. Might be an electrician around you that can take a look at it. I have a guy i take my equipment to around my area. Im sure you tried this already but check your cables and also see if other mics do the same. Could be you interface to. Who knows but hope you figure it out. Good luck!

A mic doesn't start changing pitch when it breaks down. Sounds like a problem with your audio interface, or a sample rate mismatch between the interface and your DAW.

if it is working fine when plugged into the amp then the mic is fine

check that you haven't inserted a pitch shift plugin into the signal processing chain by accident

as far as using the sm58 as a guitar amp mic, why not? almost the same specs as the sm57 and that is a standard in live sound micing; I've used both and the differences are marginal, if not imaginary, where it counts

as far as using the sm58 as a guitar amp mic, why not? almost the same specs as the sm57 and that is a standard in live sound micing; I've used both and the differences are marginal, if not imaginary, where it counts

From what I've understood they're essentially the same mic, the difference in the specs coming mostly from how the grille on the 58 changes the sound on the way in. So basically unscrewing the grille gives you a 57, which is pretty much the standard in guitar micing.

agreed - I think that was my point; I remember reading they were the same capsule back in 1987 - the capsule was developed by Shure for use in US Army tanks as communications mics with low sensitivity to surrounding noise (i.e you need high spl to actually make them produce any signal).

As such, they are perfect for a high spl environment like rock'n'roll stages for either vocals, guitar amps (not bass) and drums like snares and high pitched toms (although I'd prefer a Sennheiser MD421 any day for that job); I've even used both 58's and 57's as hi-hat mics - the other big thing about them is their construction is also like that of a tanks; virtually indestructible

Back