Should I buy a new iMac for my home recording studio?

KanyeDrake

So I have a 15 inch mid-May 2015 MacBook pro. 512GB storage, 16GB RAM and 2.5GHZ i7 processor. I just purchased back in summer of 2015. I think in August. There's nothing wrong with it. It runs very smooth no problems at all. And I'm deciding if I should buy another computer, a 2015 iMac for about $2,000. 1TB storage, 16GB RAM 3.2GHZ and i5 processor. I'm a beginner recording artist. I'm focused on rap and hip hop and R&B. I'm already spending almost $3,300 on studio equipment alone (no computer, since I already have one) I haven't released any songs or used a recording studio. I've only been using some of my friend's studios and that's about it.
Do you think it's a good idea to buy the iMac now or in the future? If not now, when do you think I should buy it? after how many years etc....

Use what you already have and don't spend no more money considering you do not have a presence nor a fan base with your music. Even when/if you ever do gain attention with your music still don't spend any more as there is more money in selling to consumers the dream of equipment automatically making one's music better more than there is money in the occupation of artist.

Last edited:
For me it's not a good upgrade

So I have a 15 inch mid-May 2015 MacBook pro. 512GB storage, 16GB RAM and 2.5GHZ i7 processor. I just purchased back in summer of 2015. I think in August. There's nothing wrong with it. It runs very smooth no problems at all. And I'm deciding if I should buy another computer, a 2015 iMac for about $2,000. 1TB storage, 16GB RAM 3.2GHZ and i5 processor. I'm a beginner recording artist. I'm focused on rap and hip hop and R&B. I'm already spending almost $3,300 on studio equipment alone (no computer, since I already have one) I haven't released any songs or used a recording studio. I've only been using some of my friend's studios and that's about it.
Do you think it's a good idea to buy the iMac now or in the future? If not now, when do you think I should buy it? after how many years etc....
If your MacBook is ok for you, I think it's waste of money, because you can buy more important things for your studio like software (Logic Pro X, for example), a pair of good monitors (like KRK Vxt4) plus a good subwoofer (KRK 10s should be ok for you). And you can spend money on plugins for produce like Sylenth1, for example.

Last edited:
Built an AMD desktop years ago myself, but I don't think you should change computers.
If you're looking for a huge difference, you could just build one or go the cyberpower/asus/HP route.

A lot of good softwares run with Windows, but you can install Windows on your Mac, some softwares are for Mac only like Logic, for example.

Last edited:
If it ain't broke don't fix it.....really you should only upgrade if you feel the need to do something your current machine can't handle.....like say you want to upgrade your software and it's going to require more system resources, well then you might need to buy a new machine....personally I don't think much of Apple's under powered inside-out computers and prefer having a well ventilated tower system with a powerful processor under my desk that houses my audio hard drives internally rather than hanging off a mess of cables which tax my CPU unnecessarily.

I guess the main things here are that 1) the iMac is a bit worse spec'd than your MBP (i5 vs. i7) and 2) besides the large screen, do you actually need two separate computers? I'd just get a nice external monitor for the MBP. Unless there's something else here the OP didn't divulge.

I would definitely just stick with what you have. You should be able to do what you need musically with those specs.

I had to buy an iMac because my Laptop couldn't handle Logic anymore. It was a 2006 model and I've only just bought the iMac a few weeks ago. Apple are designed for the creative in mind and part of the reason why I like apple computers is their longevity. (we won't go into their phones) So if your laptop is only 18 months old it's well up to the job. If you have the cash to spare then seek out some VSTs or some hardware to increase your production options is what I'd say. Your hub is fine.

Back