Self-Producing Album Efficiently - Not Getting Jaded?

JoshHPMusic

Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of crafting an EP from start to finish, all my own writing, recording, and producing. I have a deadline to meet and it leaves me with about two weeks to mix and master five songs.

My question is, what can I do to avoid becoming "ear-blind" in the process of working long hours close together on the same five songs? And tips for being able to effectively mix and master five songs in such a short time window? It seems all too easy to fall into not being able to accurately assess how something sounds when it's your own, but especially when you have to listen to it non-stop.

Thanks a bunch,
-Josh

Regular breaks are gonna be the key to this one man. Don't mix the whole thing at maximum volume for hours on end and have your ears get fatigued. For every 2 hours I'd say take at least 20mins away from it - can be difficult when you catch a vibe but it'll let your ears recover and help you avoid burning out. Two weeks is plenty of time to mix 5 songs - I tend to be able to mix a song a day, and make minor changes after the bulk of the work is done the next day. Just pace yourself and above all, enjoy it :)

Your going to want to take breaks and step away from it.
you will also ALWAYS want another set of trained ears that isn't biased to take a listen and work with it.

Back