Seeking critical engineering ears on mixing vocals into a two track instrumental

Donta Black

Whats good FP fam,

I've just started tracking vocals, after a few years hiatus & strictly producing and sharpening my engineering skills.

I've recently have had my room acoustically treated and said, "what the heck, why not by a mic and track myself".

So i've record myself, as I also rap and have been fighting hard to blend the vocals in the instrumental as much as possible. I won't say much more, as I have do a lot of processing in terms of mixing and then doing some lite (homebrew) mastering.

If any of you have any spare time and dont mind taking a listen, id appreciate it.

Thanks in advance! 1

AT2020 - RME UCX - PRO TOOLS 9

https://soundcloud.com/dontablack330/donta-black-lvl-up-test/s-g8p1u

Last edited:
Here's my critique, I like the track the sample brought me back to 1997 and long nights on my play station, I bought the OST from Japan cost $40 and didn't include shipping. Nobou is a legend. Anyway, I'm no Phil Tan but I have ears, the vocal mix is very good, not a lot of compression, sounds natural almost live, good effects, wet and spacious reverb, very pleasant, EQ is good, high passed, boosted highs to add sparkle gave it a pro like sheen. The verses levels are on point, good editing. The chorus vocal I felt was a bit wide, made the balance fall apart a little bit, the level was a bit out of control, a bit loud. Maybe ride the fader during the chorus and maybe compressing or even limiting to control peaks to keep the levels consistent. Experiment and find what works. I like the song, very cool. Just my non professional opinion. I have a thread in this section as well, feel free to return the favor.

Last edited:
I agree with Maestro above, but I like what you did on the chorus. Nice use of the backwards vocal technique as well.

Here's my critique, I like the track the sample brought me back to 1997 and long nights on my play station, I bought the OST from Japan cost $40 and didn't include shipping. Nobou is a legend. Anyway, I'm no Phil Tan but I have ears, the vocal mix is very good, not a lot of compression, sounds natural almost live, good effects, wet and spacious reverb, very pleasant, EQ is good, high passed, boosted highs to add sparkle gave it a pro like sheen. The verses levels are on point, good editing. The chorus vocal I felt was a bit wide, made the balance fall apart a little bit, the level was a bit out of control, a bit loud. Maybe ride the fader during the chorus and maybe compressing or even limiting to control peaks to keep the levels consistent. Experiment and find what works. I like the song, very cool. Just my non professional opinion. I have a thread in this section as well, feel free to return the favor.

That's dope, your a FF fan too! I plan on buying the OST myself, that & 8. I appreciate the feedback, this is a lot for me to look back on & consider.

Thanks, its funny you mention that about the chorus. I ran into a Waves plugin error, where it kept asking for the licenses of the plugins and I could use the CLA 2A on the chrous of of that. My excuse. Lol

I'll definitely return the favor, once I get off work. ��

Back