SAMPLED VOCALS - PLEASE HELP.

D

DYEONE

Has anybody got any tips on working with sampled vocals (namely singing not spoken words).

The problem i'm having is removing background noise (mainly percussion and drums). I know this isn't totally achievable as it is audio i'm dealing with but what and how can i get the best results ?

There's an effect on my A4000 sampler which removes vocals and leaves behind the background noise, so surely there must be a way to reverse this type of effect and keep the vocal instead of the background noise.

Any ideas ?

Rich.

Unfortuneately not ( or there wouldn't be a market for accapellas).

If you really want to get hold of clean accapellas go vinyl hunting. In New York there is an outlet that specializes in producing Production Records. Alot of these contain copyright violations but there is a loophole in copyright law which can be exploited.

The producers of the record are the ones who have knowingly violated copyright. Their records claim no copyright or publishing. So when you use the samples you are not violating copyright unless it can be proven that you knew that this material was copyrighted.

This by the way works in a court of law ( as long as you stay away from rediculously famous stuff ) as an individual is inocent until proven guilty , though this may be liable to change ;)

Have you tried using mastering tools such as a good Noise Gate, or DeEsser? If your waveform/sample editor supports DirectX or VST compatible plugins you can find a good freeware Noise Gate and DeEsser plug. This should clean your audio up a bit.

It won't work too great, The noise gate can kill everything in a certain frequency range, (Drums, Instruments...) and the DeEsser might be able to clean up
any residual hissing. Other than that you might be S.O.L.

Hope that helps! :)

[INFO]
Now this post is in the right place. heh. ;)

[Edited by DJ Nytestrike on 03-03-2001 at 08:23 PM]

my suggestion

well, if its acapella you want, it isnt really that hard-

there are two sources that i've found recently:
napster: type acapella into your seach and see what it yields...also look for recording takes of bands you like (I found a copy of the john lennon vocals for strawberry fields)

other than that, try going to mp3.com...there are a number of artists, paris by air, for example that offer their acapellas for remixing....kinda poppy, though.

hope this helps,

Dj Lodger

Back