Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Sample Rates (44.1 v 48 v 96 )etc etc

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    408
    Thanks
    73
    Thanked 52 Times in 52 Posts

    Sample Rates (44.1 v 48 v 96 )etc etc

    Sign in to disable this ad
    For all those people who compose in the box, using vsti, and vst plugs,,,,

    Sample rate does matter.

    if you record in 44.1... and use in the box plugs, you will incur a few things...

    1. Nyquist filter... if you don't know what that is... research.. and find out...

    2. Sample interpolation.... if you don't know what that is... research...

    3. Possible sharp high end bite digital distortion...which is not pleasant at all...



    The higher sample rate you record in.. the smoother, and less raspy/noisy your audio will be...

    The less interpolation and messy the samples will be (layering).. it will also boost the information your vsti puts out..

    The nyquist filter will be far less invasive on your high end...


    96 khz, to a trained ear, will sound far more HD than a 48 khz... if you are using in the box synths...


    This is not the case like I heard a chap post on here about opening one of your favorite tracks in FL studio and setting the sample rate to 96khz, and it sounding high rez... this is about the resolution of synths, and how plugins deal with high density information.. which gives a far more detailed and rich end product...


    96khz can tax your cpu... but if you can... use it... and dither down to 44.1 16 bit at the very end... It won't help a shit mix.. but it will make a well mixed production shine as best as it can
    Nobody wins this game......

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    France
    Posts
    1,083
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 32 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Synapsis View Post
    For all those people who compose in the box, using vsti, and vst plugs,,,,

    Sample rate does matter.

    if you record in 44.1... and use in the box plugs, you will incur a few things...

    1. Nyquist filter... if you don't know what that is... research.. and find out...

    2. Sample interpolation.... if you don't know what that is... research...

    3. Possible sharp high end bite digital distortion...which is not pleasant at all...



    The higher sample rate you record in.. the smoother, and less raspy/noisy your audio will be...

    The less interpolation and messy the samples will be (layering).. it will also boost the information your vsti puts out..

    The nyquist filter will be far less invasive on your high end...


    96 khz, to a trained ear, will sound far more HD than a 48 khz... if you are using in the box synths...


    This is not the case like I heard a chap post on here about opening one of your favorite tracks in FL studio and setting the sample rate to 96khz, and it sounding high rez... this is about the resolution of synths, and how plugins deal with high density information.. which gives a far more detailed and rich end product...


    96khz can tax your cpu... but if you can... use it... and dither down to 44.1 16 bit at the very end... It won't help a shit mix.. but it will make a well mixed production shine as best as it can
    "dither down to 44.1 16 bit" means nothing.
    You're right when advocating for producing at 2 x FS. But, prefering 24 bit to 16 bit isn't a detail. The best production format is 24 bit @ 96 KHz if you have enough CPU, RAM and storage.
    A sample rate conversion doesn't require any dithering which is only usefull when lowering the resolution from 24 bits to 16 bits.
    My two cents ;-)
    Last edited by laurend; 09-08-2017 at 01:18 AM.
    Mastering 2 per minute - 7/24/365 - 1 Hour turnaround - Free test - Try now
    MaximalSound.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    408
    Thanks
    73
    Thanked 52 Times in 52 Posts
    If you don't dither when you change bit depth.. it chops all the audio off that didn't make the 'cut' from 24 to 16.. obviously as you know, dithering adds noise to push all the audible information into the 16 bit realm.. so no nasty chopped off sounds from the silence get artifacted... hahaha

    I was using the 44.1 16 bit as the stock format for cd... I always dither to 44.1 16... and then any conversions after that (say mp3) have had the bits pushed up into the 16 bit range... anyway
    Nobody wins this game......

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    671
    Thanks
    128
    Thanked 130 Times in 118 Posts
    The accuracy of the time domain is critical for resonance/sampling quality. You need to record into the right DAW software + version using the right gear at max sample rate. When creating synth music you have to research what gear is behind the sample packages and also ensure good end to end tuning. Cheap shortcuts do not exist. It is about getting the gear you need.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    408
    Thanks
    73
    Thanked 52 Times in 52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkRed View Post
    The accuracy of the time domain is critical for resonance/sampling quality. You need to record into the right DAW software + version using the right gear at max sample rate. When creating synth music you have to research what gear is behind the sample packages and also ensure good end to end tuning. Cheap shortcuts do not exist. It is about getting the gear you need.
    Samplers and Synth's are different though.. some are romplers, or hybrid sample/synthesis.. But the good ones are getting really good....

    Synths now are coded entirely in the box... we learned max msp a bit in uni.. it is an absolute headfuck (pardon the language)... even max msp had to be coded... how the hell they do it I do not know...

    Synth's that run on a daw at 44.1, 16, compared to 96 or above 24 bit, sound quite a lot richer, smoother, less raspy... a sampler like kontakt, using 44.1 16 bit samples, in a daw set to 96 24, sounds to me, sounds the opposite, unless they have up sampled them...

    though ITB VST, interacts far better with high sample rates for audio quality, but chews cpu...

    Maybe I should do a demo and see if people can hear the difference
    Nobody wins this game......

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,264
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 59 Times in 41 Posts
    But.... and a big one.... But, IMD can shoot through the roof on 96k projects when mixing. So quite often 96k sounds noticeably worse than 44.1k. A lot of problems start creeping in with plugins when you run your project at 96k. You also have to wonder if it makes any sense since virtually all plugins now upsample to 96k or 192k or higher automatically. A few things to consider:

    1) in a proper band limited system there is no conversion difference between 44.1k and 96k
    2) With linear math, the sample rate doesn't matter
    3) virtually all plugins are running at 96k or higher internally
    4) lots nonlinear plugins don't properly filter the incoming 96k signal and will perform better with a 44.1k signal and simply upsampling.

    In other words, the old-fasioned "more is better" doesn't apply to sample rate. It's far more complicated than that.
    Chris 'Von Pimpenstein' Carter - Hit Producer & Mixer with three #1 hit singles
    http://www.vonpimpenstein.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    408
    Thanks
    73
    Thanked 52 Times in 52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
    But.... and a big one.... But, IMD can shoot through the roof on 96k projects when mixing. So quite often 96k sounds noticeably worse than 44.1k. A lot of problems start creeping in with plugins when you run your project at 96k. You also have to wonder if it makes any sense since virtually all plugins now upsample to 96k or 192k or higher automatically. A few things to consider:

    1) in a proper band limited system there is no conversion difference between 44.1k and 96k
    2) With linear math, the sample rate doesn't matter
    3) virtually all plugins are running at 96k or higher internally
    4) lots nonlinear plugins don't properly filter the incoming 96k signal and will perform better with a 44.1k signal and simply upsampling.

    In other words, the old-fasioned "more is better" doesn't apply to sample rate. It's far more complicated than that.
    Running your software synths at higher sample rates - Gearslutz Pro Audio Community

    Yea, but nah... I can hear it in the audio... vsti sound way better, and retain a lush character, even once bounced and dithered to 44.1...

    But each to their own
    Nobody wins this game......

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    408
    Thanks
    73
    Thanked 52 Times in 52 Posts
    also with the phase accuracy and alignment of the ppq in the daw are far more accurate.. as in accurate maths and joining the dots..
    Nobody wins this game......

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    France
    Posts
    1,083
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 32 Times in 31 Posts
    dithered to 44.1...
    Please
    Mastering 2 per minute - 7/24/365 - 1 Hour turnaround - Free test - Try now
    MaximalSound.com

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    408
    Thanks
    73
    Thanked 52 Times in 52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laurend View Post
    Please

    lmfao, 16 bit... ffs, when I'm 44.1 I'm 16... u know what I meant, dithered to standard cd format.. ffs ...
    Nobody wins this game......

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •