safe db level for mixing and mastering? anybody have hearing issues? just had one.

switch-man

just had a bit of a scare a while ago mixing a new track. After I decided to take a break, took the headphones off, and listened to it on my laptop speakers and the hearing in my right ear went in and out. It was like the sound being compressed massively.

Now I've also noticed that if I cover my right ear, my left hears pretty clearly. But if I cover my left ear, my right ear has a muffled sound and I dn't hear nearly as clearly as I do in my left. The difference is night and day.

Those days of listening to music at loud volume are starting to catch up with me.

now testing it again.... maybe my mind is playing tricks iwth me. But I definitely did have the hearing go in and out. I thoguht it was the fruity limiter that I had on the master channel (fl studio) but I didn't notice it being compressed in the wave form. I generally only have it on while mixing so I can hear the song louder because all the tracks are pretty low. Maybe it was the limiter but I didn't have it cranked and like I said, I didn't see it get compressed to the point that osund should drop in and out like that.

I need some goddamn rest lol

Yeah this is why I don't mix with headphones.. I've had issues like that in the past. It passes if you give it some rest but it's definitely a warning sign.

You should definitely go get your ears checked. Make sure there is no damage.

[FONT=&quot]_____________________________________________________________________________[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Need Mixing? Mastering?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Let's Work![/FONT]
mixedbydre.com

* Get your ears checked ASAP

* Mix with speakers, not phones

* Don't "mix" with elements like limiters that you're not actually using in the actual track (Sorry, makes no sense whatsoever-- what if it was reverb or delay instead of some other signal processing? Does it still make sense to you?)

* Safe listening volume is about 85dB. And you should still take breaks even then. If you have to keep turning things up, you will fatigue your ears faster and your mix decisions will be meaningless.

GJ

Back