Routing question

craftyx

I currently record my stuff as follows:
midi->audio interface->daw
turntables->usb interface->daw

guitar/bass->amp/di-> audio interface->daw
How can I reroute my audio so I can run my midi through my amp after being recorded or through my pedal board? I currently use a 2i4 but I'm not sure how to manage the cables and routing. I was looking to rewire the whole setup this weekend anyways so let me know what I need to get this done. Thanks

Yup, lots of unknown variables in this. What's the "midi" actually? Which amp? Not a whole lot of i/o on the 2i4.

Ya sorry, a little unclear on my part. I have a midi controller that connects to my audio interface that interacts with software. I want to output that into my pedal board and guitar amp. I was playing around with it last night and what I've done is just use the line out on the back of the 2i4 and plug it into my pedal board (which plugs into my amp) and can record it using my normal mic-preamp-interface or I can use the DI input on the 2i4 from the pedalboard and re-record it that way.

Thanks for the responses. In the future I will better formulate the question :)

Sure. That is a great solution. If you want to "play to the sound" of your pedal board and amp (live), then that's great. If you just want to record the midi info and get it over with, then have lots of choices for reamping later, then get a reamp box (sort of a reverse DI box).

GJ

Back when I had a pedal board as an external fx unit I used a Palmer Daccapo. Radial Engineering also does a bunch of well-respected reamping units. I think they're a bit expensive, though.

Yes, Radial seems to be the go-to. And they are expensive, for what amounts to products in a DI line, but the build-quality is awesomely solid, and they do use the best parts and also pay attention to signal quality. If you're going to be relying on it a lot, I suppose $100-&200+ is reasonable.

GJ

Then again, the Radial stuff is built to be kicked around on stage. If it's just going to be sitting in your home studio untouched, it doesn't really matter if the unit itself is a bit flimsier.

True, but then again I guess it depends on who's using it, how many will be using it, and if it will be permanently or semi-permanently installed. I know some people who can break almost anything. I've still got some gear that I bought in the 80's, but others-- not so much, so I think build-quality is a valid expense. Having said that, almost all of my DI boxes are the cheap kind!

GJ

True, but then again I guess it depends on who's using it, how many will be using it, and if it will be permanently or semi-permanently installed. I know some people who can break almost anything. I've still got some gear that I bought in the 80's, but others-- not so much, so I think build-quality is a valid expense. Having said that, almost all of my DI boxes are the cheap kind!

GJ

True as well. Just pointing out that people usually expect more expensive stuff to sound better as well, but in this case the sonic difference is more or less non-existant. Or at least if there is any, it's going to be lost the moment you stomp a Big Muff on :)

Yes, the hype is certainly that the signal is cleaner and more high quality, and I've recorded in studios that have a lot of that gear, but I can't personally speak to any grand or subtle differences, as all of my DI's and splitter/combiners are Whirlwind, ART and the like, or whatever GC had on sale (heh).

And you're right about classic stomp boxes. Might as well include single-coil pick-ups too. Sometimes you just have to enjoy the buzz, hiss, or whatever as part of the signal's "flavor." What did John Lennon say in "Help!" ?? "No thanks, I buzzed in the car!"

GJ

Last edited:
Back