Rolling off High end?

StanleySteamer

Hey guys quick question about rolling off high end. So I'm making trap beats and from my understanding its good to roll off 200hz on the low end on everything thats not kick and bass to make it shine through the mix. However in my mix I am finding my percussions kind of feel a little be out shined by the instrumentals. I feel like the volume is good but maybe if I roll off some high end it would be good. Is there a reccomended amount of high end I should be rolling off my instruments that arent percussion as well to help clear up the mix? Any feedback much appreciated!

The recommended amount is "whatever sounds good". Music ain't about painting by numbers (even though sometimes numbers are involved) :)

What he said is something I'm going to start doing a lot more.

After hearing so many different numbers about where to cut highs and lows I personally settled on cutting anything besides bass and kick at anywhere from 100 herts to 200, because sometimes you want your sounds to seep into the bass section a little bit, at least I do. As for high end a user on here suggested I cut from 13kdb to 15kdb depending on what it is, and honestly I think doing that helped a lot as that's where your hi-hats go and when there's nothing else there they are so crisp, you'll have to turn em down quite a bit though. From wh

I've always understood that it's subjective, as krushing said. It depends on the sounds used and the frequencies that give those sounds their character. You can't just cut everything off at a generic frequency and expect it to work, unfortunately.

Hey guys quick question about rolling off high end. So I'm making trap beats and from my understanding its good to roll off 200hz on the low end on everything thats not kick and bass to make it shine through the mix. However in my mix I am finding my percussions kind of feel a little be out shined by the instrumentals. I feel like the volume is good but maybe if I roll off some high end it would be good. Is there a reccomended amount of high end I should be rolling off my instruments that arent percussion as well to help clear up the mix? Any feedback much appreciated!

It might not be a good idea to introduce such a habit into your mixing. But what you can do is to engage a hardware EQ on one of your monitoring paths where these frequencies tend to be a bit more compressed than on your other monitors, boosting a little around 200 Hz and 2 kHz and blending that into the other monitoring paths can make you hear the overall frequencies a bit better and keep the frequencies under control. Keep in mind that the punch in the low end tends to sit fairly high somewhere at around 160 Hz in order to work on smaller and cheaper speaker systems, so one should overall be a bit careful of cutting too much there. Density and mud does not only come from that region, it actually comes from the whole frequency range. That is usually caused by inexperience, sometimes taste and most of the times too much software.

Also, next time you mix, try to make the side component "kiss" the ears - light weight, low frequency roll off and the right amount of indv. track gain and compression...

It might not be a good idea to introduce such a habit into your mixing. But what you can do is to engage a hardware EQ on one of your monitoring paths where these frequencies tend to be a bit more compressed than on your other monitors, boosting a little around 200 Hz and 2 kHz and blending that into the other monitoring paths can make you hear the overall frequencies a bit better and keep the frequencies under control. Keep in mind that the punch in the low end tends to sit fairly high somewhere at around 160 Hz in order to work on smaller and cheaper speaker systems, so one should overall be a bit careful of cutting too much there. Density and mud does not only come from that region, it actually comes from the whole frequency range. That is usually caused by inexperience, sometimes taste and most of the times too much software.

Also, next time you mix, try to make the side component "kiss" the ears - light weight, low frequency roll off and the right amount of indv. track gain and compression...

Or the wrong software... :)

What he said is something I'm going to start doing a lot more.

After hearing so many different numbers about where to cut highs and lows I personally settled on cutting anything besides bass and kick at anywhere from 100 herts to 200, because sometimes you want your sounds to seep into the bass section a little bit, at least I do. As for high end a user on here suggested I cut from 13kdb to 15kdb depending on what it is, and honestly I think doing that helped a lot as that's where your hi-hats go and when there's nothing else there they are so crisp, you'll have to turn em down quite a bit though. From wh

Sound sources, squares, saw tooths, sines, high hats, some naturally roll off, others don't, high hats dont need much below 4khz, and you can cut anything below that, then they sit nicely... depending on your style of music.. whether it is busy, or simple...

Back