Robot Vocals

K

KompleX

Ok guys, whats your way of making robot sounding vocals. U know, cheesy electro style. Not necesarrily vocoded. Any specific hardware/software to give it that extra synthetic buzz?

* Well I think the best and/or most easy way to do is using a good old vocoder.
I have vocoder functions in my JP-8080 and Supernova II, but I don't have been using them very often. But they're quite good, it seems.

* a second way is to "timestretch" a sample (do you have a sampler ?) to a very large length (or is it very short, can't remember; try them both !) , and then re-timestretch the stuff back to a quite "normal" length;
this will give a very metallic robotic fx

* put a bit of overdrive or even better distortion on the
voice; this will give a little robotic fx too

* vocoder stand-alone software:

=> Cylonix Vocoder 2.0: shareware; check http://www.cim.mcgill.ca/~clark/cylonix.html

=> AnalogX Vocoder: freeware; check http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/audio/vocoder.htm site

Happy X-mas & have fun !! :cheers:

yes, the timestretching works quite well. Ive done it on my es-1 by recording my voice thru the pitch shifter, time stretching, pitching it down and just messing it up :)

lots of fun.

the orange vocoder for vst works good as well but its very smooth sounding.

i cheked out cyclonix and i've been mutilating all sorts of sounds with it this morning. thanx for that :)

i also like to record with a very short delay so its just metalizing the vocal and then slowing or speeding it up.

Hey , I've got another idea :

take a long tube/pipe ( for exemple a piece of water pipes ), and talk through it, while you record or sample the result ...

Back to basics !!!!!
sqmellow.gif

shall i really share all my secrets with you guys! :rolleyes: only kiddin, i love to brag! here goes...

ok, as for your own voice, just talk into a microphone in a very flat no life manner, like a dalek, a bit of distortion, a little bit very fast chorus will roboterize your voice.

As mentioned vocoders are very kool.

but my favourite way to get a robot voice would be to use a speech synthesiser.

Some good synths have vowel oscillators or something, my girlfreinds trinity proX can do a few vowels and they sound great.

As for the speech synths I use coolspeech
http://www.bytecool.com/coolspch.htm

and also use ccs64 emulator with sam speech, its a commodore 64 emulator with a really old kool program written back in the 80's

also I have a real c64 with a cartridge called currah speech, thats a kool robot voice too but i prefer sam as you can adjust the throat and mouth to make it sound different.

anyway, hope that helped

fluxtah

Last edited:
Analog X makes a free program called "SayIt" that makes pretty decent robot voices.

I also use the speech thing in Win2K, from the control panel. You can type a preview sentence, so I fire up Sound Forge and hit the preview button to record it.

Boss sells a voice transformer that you might be interested in looking at....does more than just make one's voice a robot though... :)

textaloud mp3 is interesting. converts text to words and all that. and i think air used the engine on howdoesitmakeyoufeel

This probably isn't really a type of robot vocals that you would want to use, but it kind of revolves around this whole speech synthesis thing, and it's kind of fun, you get some weird stuff happening...

anyway... take a sentence, and break it up into separate vowels, or even separate sounds, or to go absurdly far divide it into separate mouth positions...

i.e.

A normal sentence would be spoken like this.

A nor-mal sen-tence would be spo-ken like this.

A n-o-rr-mm-aa-ll ss-eh-nn-t-eh-n-ss w-oo-ll-d b-ee ss-p-oh-k-eh-n ll-ah-ee-k th-i-ss

Record each vowel or sound separately, then put them together using a program like cool edit. It's hard, but the results come out surprising.

Try as hard as you can to make it sound normal, and you'll still end up with a weird sounding sentence...

anyway... just kind of weird

yeh thats kinda kool, saw a similar thing in future music magazine, thats kinda like homemade speech synthesis for those who cant afford a speech synth lol lol only kidding, its a great idea, Im sure aphex twin does a lot of that stuff, why hell you could even use the same treatment on a recorded snippet of a speech synth output.

fluxtah

why hell you could even use the same treatment on a recorded snippet of a speech synth output.

well... umm... well... yeah... but it's more... uhhh... rewarding if you... ummm... do it your self...:p

Back