Recording vocals with a lo-fi effect

fendernez

Hi. Don't know if anyone has any experience of this but I'm going to be recording vocals with a lo-fi/telephone effect. I assumed it would be best to add the effect with some kind of distortion after recording, enabling tweaking when I do the final mix, but it seems some get the effect at the time of recording by using a bad mic, overdriving the channel etc. Anyone have any thoughts/experience?
Thanks.

You could record with certain types of really narrow-bandwidth mics (like the Copperphone)and preamp/channel distortion to get the effect...but of course the problem is that if it's not quite what you wanted, or it's illegible, or there's too much distortion - you can't take it away. That's why adding the effect afterwards is much safer. Of course, if you know exactly what you want, you can just record like that and be done with it. But if you want/need to experiment with the fx, record a dry regular vocal and do it later.

The Copperphone is a really cool mike (it's been on my "to get" list for years), but if you're only doing this once or twice, it might not be worth the expense to you. I would experiment with some over-drive or distortion and tweaking the mid-range with EQ first...

GJ

I'd argue against using a narrow bandwidth mic. As krushing stated "you can't take it away".
Going for the cleanest recording your equipment can obtain is always going to give you more options.

Wickiemedia is so so good i can't help but remember this video when reading your post

This one's really simple, just an EQ. in your approach you can add bitcrusher+mini distortion ;)

have fun~

Back