Recording vocals - invest in mic or rent studio?

ZaneT

DJ/Producer
Hello.

For a few projects I'm working on I require vocals (sing? inbox me) but I'm curious about how to go about this in the best way.
Would it be worth me investing in a good mic for my home studio -- IS there even a good mic I could buy on you typical student budget? Or should I just buy studio time instead?

Has anyone rented studios before? What sort of price range is it? Hourly rates or?

Not looking for specific numbers but any info/advice would be great, thanks.

I'm a student and have had projects where I needed to record stuff. Getting a mic & audio interface would be better in the long run. Also, you can soften some of the natural reverb in your room by hanging up absorbent material (clothes, blankets, etc.). Did that you my room and got a clean recording.

Look for an audio school and rent their studio time. Cheaper. Or find a student who will book you time for experience. Dont just buy a mic and interface, hang some blankets and assume youll be able to get anywhere close to the results you will in a real studio. Youll probably have to spend 4-5 grand at home before you can even start comparing it to a studio, and it won't be as good still.

just google studio prices

If you're really wanting to do it right, get a mic (Rodes NT1a is cool), an audio interface w/ phantom power, a mic shield, and blankets for your room to deaden the reverb. Also, u can use a software like IK Audio Room Correction and it will correct any audio imperfections in your room. Hope this helps.

before u invest in a mic invest in acoustic treatment. Trust it is the 1st step in getting good vocals. i would look up how to build them on ur own or check out a company called GIK acoustics. Start with one or two and add more as u can.

Back