Recording Vocals before you even make the beat?? [Read]

MalichiBeats

Hey guys,

Fairly new to the forum. I'm a song writer/producer/rapper and often I find myself coming up with great lyrics and choruses in my head but don't usually have the idea of what I want the beat to sound like.

I find writing down the song, with a general idea is cool. sometimes I record voice notes

But I wanted to try something different,

I wanted to set the bpm to what felt right, and record with the metronome on. Once I laid the vocals I wanted to begin building the beat around the chorus/verse

anybody ever tried it or have any advice on going about this method?

Right but I don't have a beat in mind right now. Just lyrics, so I want to know if anyone has ever tried recording the vocals first then laying the drums/melody down, treating the vocal like an "instrument".

Initially I'm an artist before anything

I have definitely recorded vocals first then produced the record later. I actually find this way interesting most because I prefer to hear the vibe of the vocals to get a good rhythm started. My only advice would be is to make sure the click is low lol. Headphone bleed from a metronome is the worst ?. Other than that man rock out. Have fun and push your creativity beyond the max!

Yes, i have tried this before. Usually i will freestyle a verse, write it down and clean it up, and then record it and make the beat later.

Back