Recording Trumpet

Epsilon-144

Musician and Producer
I just got a new trumpet. I'll be recording real trumpet on my LP coming in the summer, including a Star Spangled Banner Remix. It'll have Synths on the backup and the lead melody on Trumpet.

Does anybody have any tips and techniques for recording and mixing trumpet? I've read you're supposed to keep the condensor mic at least 5-6 feet away from the bell of the instrument. The trumpet is super loud and usually clips the track in the mixer. So I've been turning the volume down to compensate, but I'm sure there's a better way to dampen the sound without losing energy.

Please share if ya know anything. Thanks!

There are certain mics that work better for recording trumpet. I do make recordings with a saxophone. It's a bit tricky.
Reverb is the obvious added effect. Other then that, EQ. Sometimes compression.
I use the Sennheiser e608 , dynamic microphone. It places right on the bell.
SD-System LCM-89 is for instance a condensor mic, also placed right on the bell. Comes with a LP pre-amp with volume and tone control.
SDS modular, LDM-94, LCM-85, LDM94VT are a few that are pretty good for saxophones.
I do use a condensor mic for recording the neck of the instrument, that also produces a lot of the sound. It sits about half a meter to max a meter away. I then use both of the recorded tracks.
I see recording the trumpet differs a bit.
Nice interview about recording trumpet: Q. How do I record brass in the home studio? |
Recording Brass Instruments, Trumpet Trombone in a Home Studio
Basic Recording Techniques: Tips for Recording with Brass Instruments

YES!^^^^ I was going to recommend the E609, or really any dynamic. Possibly an omni instead of a cardioid, if you have one available. Maybe use the omni as a room/"glue" microphone. Also, depending on what you're doing and the sound you want, consider using the Harmon mute.

Distance and levels? Is there anyone that can help you engineer so that you can just play? Just like when tracking vocals or other instruments, when you are getting levels and making test passes, make sure to give what I call a "real world signal." Meaning, don't do one of these "toot toot toot," "yeah, it's ok, and I can hear myself," then when it's an actual take, you play "BLAAAAHHH!!!!!" Play the actual passage you're going to play while warming-up and getting levels, and try not to pussyfoot. If you do get a good take except for a split note or a peak on the meters, consider comping/editing, and/or, believe it or not, adding a little distortion to just those problem spots. Sometimes works wonders.

awesome! This is really helpful.

Ya, a studio engineering book recommends distancing the microphone at least twice the length of the instrument. But it could be for a particular microphone. I got pretty basic condensor (the sterling audio st-51), not to long ago, so it picks up a lot. But if I play close by, the track in the mixer is blood red.

I do have a mute that cuts the sound by about 40%, but I'll wait until tomorrow.
...unfortunately, I can't run this business all night in a residential area. :/ if I could, I would. haha, thanks to both of ya.

Last edited:
And B side, that's awesome with the Sax. Interesting that you have to mic the bell and the neck, but it makes sense.

And, i'll be sure to blast this to Mars and back for ya, GJ.

Most trumpeters that I know, including myself, use large diaphragm dynamic mics, as oppose to large diaphragm condenser mics. Nevertheless, either option will do, depending on the tone you seek. Just remember that the trumpet is a naturally bright instrument and some condenser mics will further accentuate high-end frequencies. The Electro-Voice RE20 and Sennheiser MD421 II are common choices, but a mic such as the popular Shure SM57 will work well.

Definitely, record the trumpet about 2 to 5 feet away and place the bell of the trumpet slightly off-axis as air noise and moisture is being released in additional the tone produced. In all honesty, unless you are a proficient trumpeter, the distance will be less than what is typically stated as a guideline. Professional trumpet players are extremely loud, beginners not so much, which leads me to my next point.

Depending on the quality level you wish to record, the mic is one of the least areas to be concerned with at this time. To produce a decent tone on the trumpet, or any brass instrument, takes a very long time with consistent practice. My best suggestion, in light of the established time frame, is to heavily work on long tones and flexibility studies in order to sound at least somewhat passable. The following books are standard trumpet material and will help you in the aforementioned areas:

1) "Arban's Complete Conservatory Method for Trumpet (Cornet)" by Jean Arban
2) "Twenty-Seven Groups of Exercises for Cornet and Trumpet" by Earl Irons
3) "Daily Drills and Technical Studies for Trumpet" by Max Schlossberg

Good luck and congrats for learning the trumpet. It is a wonderful instrument.

Last edited:
Thanks TedHO3! i've been practicing long tones, and learning the scales, jus to get comfortable with the fingering. I got a C trumpet, so I don't have to transpose in order to play in key with a piano (or a synth in my case). Getting the C was an accident, but it turns out to be a better choice because of that. Transposing to Bb would be a pain for every song :berzerk:

Thanks for the advice! I'm checking out those books. I appreciate it.

Back