Recording with Scarlett 2i4 - NO INPUT SIGNAL!

Tomasmk

Hello fellow future producers, I recently bought the Scarlett 2i4 and so far I'm quite pleased with it, but today when I first tried to record audio using my Sennheiser 845 mic with it I found out that there was no input signal. I attach a screenshot for clarification.Everything else with the scarlett sounds fine, and the mic works good on any other hardware...Do any of you have any idea of why could this be?

Attachments

• mic.png
    mic.png
    121.6 KB · Views: 366
Hello fellow future producers, I recently bought the Scarlett 2i4 and so far I'm quite pleased with it, but today when I first tried to record audio using my Sennheiser 845 mic with it I found out that there was no input signal. I attach a screenshot for clarification.Everything else with the scarlett sounds fine, and the mic works good on any other hardware...Do any of you have any idea of why could this be?

problem solved calling scarlett technical support. However, the input signal from the mic is extremely low, the tech assistant said it was because it was not a condenser mic, this is a big bummer as one of the main reasons i bought this was to record...

when I suggested using a mic amp the guy said I should be careful when pluggin it in the scarlett, any1 has any idea why? it can break it?

The scarlett is a mic preamp though they do not like you to think of it as that. Adjust the input gain all the way to the right with the mic open, phantom power off.

Then back the gain off until you stop getting flashes of red from the led indicator on the gain knob

If you are going to use a mic preamp, you need to set gain to minimum, switch to line input and definitely do not have phantom power on

The scarlett is a mic preamp though they do not like you to think of it as that. Adjust the input gain all the way to the right with the mic open, phantom power off.

Then back the gain off until you stop getting flashes of red from the led indicator on the gain knob

If you are going to use a mic preamp, you need to set gain to minimum, switch to line input and definitely do not have phantom power on

Thanks bandcoach, I appreciate it. I do have the gain all the way up tho. No red, but very low volume instead...

on that basis I have to ask about what type of cable you are using to connect the mic to the interface with?

CYMERA_20140619_115008 (1).jpgCYMERA_20140619_115027.jpg
Dear bandcoach, thanks again for your time

I hereby attach two pictures featuring the cable.

It reads "PROEL noiseless microphone cable * low capacity and low impedance - C.F.C - www.proelgroup.com"

get yourself an xlrf-xlrm cable - the auto sensing is based on what type of connector the interface detects

your cable is an xlr to ts, meaning that the output of the mic is halved anyway. a ts plug in the socket will be detected as a line/instrument level input not a microphone in most cases, and so the input will be padded down significantly, meaning lower perceived input level

Last edited:
The cable having the fault? Well I would have never thought of that!

I will get the one you said and give some feedback of the result.

You have been of immense help, thank you sir

Back