Recording a podcast with a home studio; possible

twranks

Hey guys,
I know this might sound so amateur, but I've never recorded a podcast session before. Someone booked me to record a podcast in my little home studio and I accepted. Is it possible? All I have is my mic, audio interface, laptop with FL studio DAW, headphones and monitors. Any tips for making the session as smooth and professional as possible for the customers will be gladly appreciated. Thanks

Well...I'd reckon 99% of the podcasts in the world are recorded in home studios, so yeah, it's well possible :)

This might sound rather obvious, but make sure everything works - even if you know it does. You don't want to be setting up audio drivers or rebooting your computer with the customer in the room (although glitches happen - any sensible client will of course understand that). If you're at a "just hit record" point when the customer arrives, your recordings sound good and you can do small edits on the fly if need be, I don't think there should be too many things that can go wrong :)

Thanks a lot for that. The customer said two people will be recording the podcast at the same time time but I only have one mic. Do you think there is a way around that?

If they are in the same room, just try to place the mic in a position where both of them can speak in the mic. Also, do test run to make sure the audio comes out how you want it

Thanks a lot for that. The customer said two people will be recording the podcast at the same time time but I only have one mic. Do you think there is a way around that?

Yeah, like Adrian-MarQ said....one mic placed so they both can use it simultaneously. Definitely test. For them both to use it comfortably, you'll probably have to settle for the mic a little bit further away than you would if you were recording a singer, for example...it might be awkward if they have to lean in every time, or both sit so their heads are touching. Therefore, you might have to settle for a little extra room noise than you're used to...but testing ahead of time will show you the "sweet spot" of where to put the mic, and where they should sit.

You'll want to decide if you want them to wear headphones or not...but at least you should, since of course you probably won't be able to have your monitors on.

Don't forget to make accurate and complete notes about your setup, because hopefully they'll love you and want you to replicate the setup next time! Good luck!

Last edited:
Back