Recording to PC using an external sequencer

S

sonic::bionic

So, I have my RM1X sequencing my sampler and synth. The sequences are set up as seperate loops ranging from 4 to 16 measures long. I tried to record it to my PC so I could upload it so people could check it out, except that I can't record the loops in perfect time. In other words, when I record the drum loop, then add the snare loop on top of it, they aren't in time with each other. I'm using Sound Forge to record, and Acid to lay all the loops on top of each other (and do a little bit of arranging). So, how can I set up my PC to record the exact length of each loop and no more, no less? Sorry, I'm new to recording, I usually just play "live".

I record loops from my drum machines and my synths all the time and never have a problem getting them synched correctly...this is what I do...

First this is to use a Sequencer such as Cubase, Cakewalk or Logic Audio, then set it up to triger(meaning start) your RM1X. At this point you should be controlling the Tempo and start and stop with the the software sequencer. Next step I do is to set up a Track to record audio in the software sequencer, then I record one of the loops, I let it play(and record) the sequence a few times. I then highlight an even bar right out of it and cut it, then delet the rest of what I recorded, and then paste what I had cut to the begining of the track. Last thing I do is export that track as a wav file.

Taos
www.djtaos.cjb.net

Ok i can see how you do this with sounds with low attack (i.e drums etc), but how do you handle sounds which have been heavily enveloped and sweep in (to the degree where you can't hear the trigger point).

The method you describe is similar to something i tried to do (as a result of poor latency with audio in cubase) and i found that chopping up of the audio recording gave very poor results indeed with regard to timing.

Rich.

poor latency can be a problem, if whats coming out of your synths is behind your sequencer there will be issues.... perhaps a computer upgrade or HD upgrade or even just a new re-install of an OS can help.

I can go into more detail of what I do if needed?

Taos

Last edited by a moderator:
since you said you normally play live, why don't you record that way? Set everything up how you do it live, then play and just record it like that.

Well, unless, of course, you need to record all the tracks separately for whatever reason.

maybe a better idea-
you said you're using sound forge. Don't use that. Use a multi-track recording software. (cakewalk, cubase, etc) Record your first track, then when you record your second track, you can listen to the first while recording the second.

Back