Recording, Mixing and Mastering Your Mixtape

Platinum Vocals

Peace, I am a female singer, writer, rapper and producer. Many people are creating mixtapes and using professional studio engineers to mix and master but I feel if you use the right plugins and tweak your sounds just right you can do it yourself in your home studio. I just dropped my mixtape on Datpiff and those who heard it told me I achieved a decent sound. The entire mixtape was recorded, mixed and edited by me. What do you think about dropping a good quality mixtape. Let me know. Also I would appreciate it if you check out my mixtape and download, rate etc. Thank you.

Platinum Vocals - The Space Hustla Mixtape - Stream & Download

You can definitely go a long way on your own if you know what you are doing. I did a quick listen to your mistake on some cheap ear buds. The instrumentals sound good, however there is a noticeable quality difference between the vocals and the instrumental. It's a little difficult for me to give specific feedback on the vocals at the moment, but in general there could be more width in the backing vocals (my own preference ). I can give better feedback when I listen on some different equipment!

Sn. The quality is not bad compared to what I usually come across from a solo project, but it could be better in terms of commercial quality.

Thank you, I really appreciate your analysis of my mixtape.
You can definitely go a long way on your own if you know what you are doing. I did a quick listen to your mistake on some cheap ear buds. The instrumentals sound good, however there is a noticeable quality difference between the vocals and the instrumental. It's a little difficult for me to give specific feedback on the vocals at the moment, but in general there could be more width in the backing vocals (my own preference ). I can give better feedback when I listen on some different equipment!

Sn. The quality is not bad compared to what I usually come across from a solo project, but it could be better in terms of commercial quality.

The reason the serious artists dropping mixtapes are going to pros isn't because of the gear the pros use. It's because of the skill they have. It's kind of like saying "anyone can rap and sing well if they have a mouth." Well, no - you need talent to rap and sing (well, theoretically LOL). The whole mixtape game has changed a lot over the years. Most artists are now treating their mixtapes much more like regular albums and are cutting far fewer corners. Case in point, I used to do a lot of 'down and dirty' mixes for artists doing mixtapes - really fast and cheap mixes I'd doing during my downtime. I used to do a lot of them, but now I only do a small handfull a year. Most of the artists that hire me for mixtapes are asking me to do a standard regular mix just like I'd do for a legit release or a label. They realize that they can't really compete with the junk mixtapes they used to get away with.

Back