Recording Groovebox Sounds in MIDI

vanian

Ok, hopefully you can help me out. I am using Cubase and I want to record some tracks from my groovebox. I want to slave it so it is sequenced by Cubase but can I record in MIDI with the groovebox's sounds (Or any other synth or whatever). Or can I only record in Audio? I just wanna have the MIDI notes so I can edit them and add effects in Cubase but I want to use the sounds I have on the groovebox.

If I understand your quextion right. You want to record parts in your groovebox and transform them to midi notes. Midi is purely information. No sound waves of anykind. you wont be able to use groovebox sounds and record them as midi data unless you transform your groovebox amples into soundfonts. go to http:computermusic.co.uk and read the tutorial on soundfornts to learn how to do this. I may have misunderstood you but again you can't record the groovebox sounds into midi without onverting them to soundfonts.

Actually you hit it right on the mark. That's exactly the answer I needed. I was just hoping it would be easier, heheh. Im off to read the tutorial........

Thx!!!!!! :D

-v

If you want to add effects in Cubase another thing you could do is dumb your patterns into cubase (midi out of groovebox) and save the note data. Then you can rearrange it and fiddle with it in cubase, running the midi out to the midi in on the groovebox until you get an arrangement you like. Then record the midi parts one at a time (or more if you've got a 505 and multiple ins on your sound card) which will get the audio tracks synced to midi. Then apply effects to the audio parts within cubase. That's the typical way to record midi tracks onto the computer.
-mj-

Back