Recording to a g4

A

Alias

I have a g4 powermac. I just got a midi interface for it and I am trying to record to Pro Tools Free. When I try this I get a message that says "Can't allocate drive space". I assume this is because I need to defragment.
It won't let me defragment my system startup disk.
Do I need to buy another hard drive dedicated for recording?
Thanks. :)

re drives

Yes you really do need another drive to record to as it is not good to tax your system drive. What you need is an ultra wide scuzzie drive. These are made to read and record a lot of information at once - ie lots of tracks at once. Make sure you click your new drive in the drive allocation box in the Hardware setups menu. This tells pro-tools where to record to. Some people use two scuzzie drives and 'round robbin' them. That means that it splits up which drive it records too, using both to make things run smoother. As for de-fraging - if you still have the origional mac os disks plus whatever de-frag program, say Nortons - Re start your computer with the OS disk in the drive. This will run the system off that. Use the De-frag disk in the same way. Thats the weird thing about macs, they won't let you defrag the drive that the program is stored on. Also Check in the Hardware menu that you have your midi interface checked. Hope that helps!;)

Back