Question For Recording Artists, Producers (Purchasing and making beats)

DrizzyFromthe6

I'm a beginner recording artist (Rap and R&B) and I wanna release songs this year. I don't know how to go on about it. My style of music is influenced by Drake, Bryson, The Weeknd, Justin bieber, Travi$, NAV etc... My question is should I buy beats or make my own beats? I already have 2 in-house producers working with me but it takes them a month to complete an amazing beat and record my vocals. But if I buy a beat from a Youtube Producer, it takes no longer than 2 weeks. I'm thinking about buying beats from Youtube Producers for throwaway tracks while my producers are working on the other beat to put in an album mixtape ep etc... Is buying beats from youtube producers a good move? Will it hurt my career? or should I just stick with making my own.

I don't have a music fanbase yet but I have a huge following on social media

You have in-house producers, now find the confidence to ask them if they would teach you how to produce. Please know that this isn't the superproducer era where producers use to and could bank on placements to get careers started and/or profiles boosted. Do not do throwaway tracks and do not focus on albums and/or mixtapes as EPs would be a better option due to short attention spans of listeners in this era.

Last edited:
That didn't answer my question. Will it hurt my career if I used beats made by youtube producers. I'm talking about those (Type Beat) producers

Are you a signed or unsigned artist? If you have in house producers don't worry about those who are type beat producers.

I'm an unsigned Rap and R&B artist and I'm thinking about staying independent until I get a really good deal when I blow up. What do you mean don't worry about type beat producers? Are you saying using their beats (in any way) won't hurt my career?

I'm saying many in house producers can create any beat that follows a trend e.g. "type beat," if you want them to. A deal is only as good or as bad as the terms put forth by a label via the attorney that negotiates them for you. This is the 360 era, don't go for it if one ever comes your way.

No I know but sometimes it does take them a while to perfect a beat (Not that I'm complaining). But I want to be able to release content to the fans, listeners and be consistent about it. Like I don't want to drop 1-2 songs a year. I want to drop just enough to get recognition and build my fan base. So again, if I use (Type beat) producers beats in any way hurt my career, or should I just strictly use my in-house producers beats

Well quality is important so I suggest you use your in-house producers. I'd kill to have it like that as I know no one personally.

Lol you can do anything you want. If you choose to use youtube producers, make sure the content ID is squared away before you release the song. The beat maker may have content ID on their beat and that'll take all of your revenue, so make sure they clear you song or remove their content id before you release.

It's always goo to have in house producers. They know you better and you can have more of a "band" relationship as you all grow and improve. Both are fine. Look for quality of course, and also build valuable relationships in the industry. Contacts in this business are very valuable.

It's good you have in-house producers. Experiment with both, tho. That can't hurt. :)

(and I hear ya, it takes a while to finish a tune. A few weeks is normal to give your ears rest, and to rethink the complicated areas)

Last edited:
no, they may have a content ID system scanning the internet for their music. So if it finds a match, it automatically files a copyright claim against your song, ...because it's using the beat from another artist. ...Some other people on here have been reporting that issue, and it's kind of a sleezy move by the beat makers/producers. They should release the content ID when/if they sell their beats to singers/rappers.

...Just double check that with them when you buy or lease their beats. They may not know, but if they use a distribution service to get their music on iTunes, spotify, etc...then the content ID is probably running. They'll have to remove it when they want to lease beats.

Last edited:
the other thing you're mentioning with their name over the beat is just a watermark, lol i guess that's what its called... that just protects them from people ripping/downloading their beat for free. They remove that when they lease you the beats.

Last edited:
Oh I see, I didn't know that about content ID. But what if they still have the Content ID and lied about taking it down after purchasing an unlimited lease or exclusive rights

that's the problem lol, somebody else on this forum has been mentioning that this has been happening to them... It gets resolved over a few weeks, but it's just a hassle.

...on youtube at least. I'm not really into the beat leasing game. Other guys on here can help ya out a lot more. But they're saying other sites, like beatstars, etc. are safer for like leasing and stuff.

Last edited:
Well these producer that I want to buy beats from do have their own website and/or on Beatstars and websites like that. But I'll probably just stick with my in-house producers from what you're telling me, thank you

Thank you, I'll check it out. Is there any other way I can contact you? Email maybe? I just want to ask a producer about some studio equipment

ya, I'll send you my email in a private message.

but you can always ask on here. More opinions are better than one, yo and there are smart members who like specialize in the equipment stuff.

Kendrick is not a beatmaker. Honestly... Work on your charisma, stage presence, lyrics and voice. Don't waste your time. If you want to be a rapper, rap. Get out content consistently. Work on that. You don't need to waste time trying to figure out how to EQ a kickdrum. You can give it a shot, and try to get better, just to have a notion of what it's about. But if you want to be a rapper, focus on that. Pay people for the beats, if you think you're good enough to get your money back in the long run. If you're not so determined and extreme about it, then you can definitely DIY. But if you're ready to go hard, by all means, buy the best beats you can find.

Why don't you just ask people on forums if they have any unreleased beats? I have tons of proper, high quality hip hopbeats that never saw the light of day, and I'm just a random guy from the internet. I would definitely sell them to you. They are not your typical beats, which is great if you want to sound different. Send me some bars if you're intrigued! If we match up, I'll show you some of my stuff!

Back