Question for Producers Who Sell Beats - Do You Outsource Mixing/Mastering?

ryanmcnally

Hey, so like a lot of people on here I've been working on my beats for some time now, mainly trying to better not only my production skills but also my mixing and mastering skills as well. I'm basically operating by myself with no team around me, as I'm sure a lot of you are as well. And so the main problem I'm facing is that I think I'm trying to do too much at once. I'm trying to understand what it means to produce and create a great song and arrangement. And at the same time, I'm also trying to get that shit mixed right so it sounds how i want it and mastered so it can be a commercially viable product...

So my question for you producers is actually more of a survey...how many of you are like me who try to do it all on your own and how many export the mixing/mastering to others around you?

I'd appreciate any insight y'all have...

Hey, so like a lot of people on here I've been working on my beats for some time now, mainly trying to better not only my production skills but also my mixing and mastering skills as well. I'm basically operating by myself with no team around me, as I'm sure a lot of you are as well. And so the main problem I'm facing is that I think I'm trying to do too much at once. I'm trying to understand what it means to produce and create a great song and arrangement. And at the same time, I'm also trying to get that shit mixed right so it sounds how i want it and mastered so it can be a commercially viable product...

So my question for you producers is actually more of a survey...how many of you are like me who try to do it all on your own and how many export the mixing/mastering to others around you?

In my case I know how to mix and master, but I am a little confused about arranging, because my musical theory is down and I need a piano course too, to develop my creativity and skill playing piano, for example. I think in your case or you just make a beat and mix and master it your manner, or you let someone do this or look for mixing and mastering courses.

IMO, it all depends on WHO you have access to, and your resources. Although its extremely brave and ambitious , I wouldn't recommend doing all of these things all at once by yourself because it'll get super overwhelming, instead, focus on your composition / arrangement / sound selection. once you get good at that, mixing seems to do itself, because if your choosing the right sounds together all that is left is minimal EQ, leveling, and panning.

If you absolutely MUST learn all , learn just a little bit from each, to get a feel of what these professionals do, and you'll be able to communicate with them more effectively once you've found a professional engineer to work with.

I see what you're saying, as it's not the most realistic mindset but I disagree taken in account someone who is aspiring (producer, artist, sound designer, mixer) their basically brand new, and unless they already have industry connections, no one is knocking on their door to collaborate on a project. A beginner has to either go to a school / engage in a community with like minded individuals to build network, or improve their skillsets to garner the attention of those who is interested in collaborating. so absolute beginners pretty much have no choice but to do so to get started. at least for a little bit until he / she finds a community in which they are other aspiring people willing to collab.

Last edited:
Back