Question about your workflow and additional sounds

dominic94

Hey guys, I would like to ask you question about your workflow. When you add fx such as white noise, some kind of special noises which makes your mix more interesting, clashes, crashes, any sounds or whatever ? While you are producing your track, doing arrangement and structuring or at the mixing stage ?

I think a lot of people will tell you that they do a varied mix of the way in which they work...

Sometimes I arrange and structure as I'm adding elements... While other times I just concentrate on a loop, then arrange afterwards.

I will compose, mix, produce, mix, produce, mix loop etc. The more times I produce it becomes further enhanced, sound design stronger, when I mix I hear where it lacks and sounds empty, the next produce stage I will add what I felt lacked and then mixed again. One Day It feels done.

Don't forget to listen, do solid looping listening sessions after each mix session, forget what it sounds like and listen again to get a true representation of what it needs

If I would produce a track, then mix it, I would add these FX in the production stage.
Depends on the genre, but many times they are a part of the artistic vision of the track more than a mix solution.

i save mixing and composing until the end.. you may switch a sound eventually.. but if you're the type to mix while producing.. you wasted your time taking time out to mix a sound that you switched out.. time that you will never get back.. so i wait until the end..

I usually make sure everything is arranged how I want in the production stage, that way everything can be mixed and made cohesive at once instead of constantly having to go back and fourth.

Hey guys, I would like to ask you question about your workflow. When you add fx such as white noise, some kind of special noises which makes your mix more interesting, clashes, crashes, any sounds or whatever ? While you are producing your track, doing arrangement and structuring or at the mixing stage ?

I don't have the best mixes, but I at least add delay and reverb before I get to the mixing stage. I just think it's impossible to tell where your track is going without it. Especially since I don't like certain sounds without reverb. I hate a dry snare sound, so I usually just add a really low amount of reverb to it (enough that you don't notice it's there, but you notice when it's gone).

I don't even really have stages anymore. It's just a bunch of combined mixing and production. Like others here have said, I can't really get a grasp on a track's direction without having all my FX included.

Really no right or wrong answer; pretty much whatever feels more comfortable for your workflow.

Creative freedom is my objective when making new music, playing with bands and such. Im always looking for ways to simplify certain aspects of making music.At the end of the day, I'm happy as long as I'm able to navigate through the various tools and resources of my DAW without loosing new or old song ideas. The techniques I use for mixing are simple and often times saved a presets for blending similar songs; I prefer to work fast.

Like others said, I have morphed the recording and mixing stages. If you're doing any kind of electronic-based music, whether EDM or beats, I think effects and ear candy are hand-in-hand with the actual melodies and instruments. Sometimes delay or distortion actually makes the sound you're looking for. It helps you hear the project take shape, instead of writing all the music first and imagining what it might sound like later. When I have the idea, I usually do it right away, whether it has to do with panning, fx, or anything else.

Last edited:
Yeah theres no definitive process when Im doing my own stuff. But if its adding something like a bit of noise to snare or something like that Ill usually just do it when I think of it even though it might be more sensible CPUwise to wait until Im mixing, if I can hear it when Im still writing itll usually influence other parts Ill want to add.

I like to do all my arrangements in 8- 16 bar loops. Then copy/paste, then do something different in the second loop and so on. Once I'm finished with arranging, then I move on to my mixing. Everyone's different though, so do what makes you more productive.

Back