A question about vocals

The short answer is no. But why would you want to convert them to stereo? They will just take up more disk space.

If you would like to use stereo effects on the vocals (say like a stereo reverb or delay), just have those effect on a send.

Most lead vocals are mono.
When you have doubles, harmonies, etc, they're all mono tracks but just panned.
Eventually when you have like 6 vocal tracks going simultaneously, everything should be panned to make STEREO image.

- vinnyprez

There are cases where a vocal is recorded in stereo. For example recording a choir...the engineer may chose this technique to capture idk maybe the environment reflections? Lol ...but again the answer is no.. U should have a problem converting from mono to stereo

There are cases where a vocal is recorded in stereo. For example recording a choir...the engineer may chose this technique to capture idk maybe the environment reflections? Lol ...but again the answer is no.. U should have a problem converting from mono to stereo

Just curious and trying different mixing techniques.

First you need to think about two things. Stereo sound is hearing the differences in audio being played out each speaker. Think about that. The difference in the Left signal from the Right signal is what makes something sound stereo. How does a mono or single track sound playing the same thing out each speaker sound? Is there a difference in the Left and Right? No? Then it will still sound mono.

Also think about this. Do you have more than one mouth? Are you recording all the information with one mic? Then you don't need a stereo signal. Recording stereo vocals is only done when you have more than one mouth to record at the same time, or want to capture the natural ambience of the recording environment.

I'm located in North East Atlanta in Gwinnett county. I teach this stuff. I will teach you how to record a professional track and show you the basics of eq, compression, panning, mixing and basic "Mastering". I charge $60 for the three hour session and you will save a fortune in TIME and hiring an engineer to do it right or fix what can be fixed. I use ProTools 10 but I also teach Cubase, Studio One, Nuendo, FL Studio, and Reason. I will bring my Macbook Pro with the software needed and my studio monitors to mix on. If you want to actually record a track you will need to supply the recording interface because I don't travel with my current set-up. I do bring a SM7b mic that can be used anywhere to record with no problems.

Mono recorded vocals - Rap

So I record in FL studio in a mono channel but i want the voice to be heard through both speakers...how do I do this cause I've tried? I wouldn't leave a vocal sound as mono in a song, right? how would that sound (not good)? what do semi-professionals do?

Back