Question about reverb

marc32123

I am just starting to learn about reverb, and what exactly it is. I knew before somewhat, but am trying to learn what it truly is and how to apply it to string and piano like stuff.

Right now I have a beautiful string part I have made. I use EastWest Symphonic Orchestra, and in the reverb part of the interface it has a few options. They have over one hundred different preset reverb effects to choose from, such as cathedral, large hall, small hall etc.

I am trying to get the strings in my song to sound like they are in a large hall or cathedral, so basically lots of reverb I guess is what I am looking for. So I have chosen the cathedral effect, but there are also two more options, volume and pre-delay.

I read online that pre-delay is the time it takes for the first reflections to be heard after the initial sound has been produced...? Assuming this is correct, how does volume work into this? And how do I combine the two to emulate that cathedral/large hall sound I am looking for?

I wouldn't mess with pre-delay settings much if you are just starting to explore reverb. The "volume" setting, I'm assuming, would be the same as an effect send knob on a console, i.e., the amount of reverb added to your signal (the actual volume of your string parts will still be controlled by those faders or knobs on your virtual mixer).

A quick tip about reverb, especially if it's going to be used in a mix with a bunch of other instruments-- "less is more." Turn it up to the point where you think it sounds incredible, then immediately dial it back 1/4 to 3/4 of a turn. Another thing to try, if you have EQ settings for your reverb effects (separate from the EQ for each channel), would be to roll-off most of the bass in the reverb, and focus more on the high-mids and highs.

GJ

The two most important controls for reverb are firstly the dry/wet or mix control, which I would guess is the volume control here, and the time/decay control (how long the reverb lasts), which you don't have here but I would guess is bundled in with the type

I've never messed much with pre-delay. I wouldn't think you need to- just leave it at the default. Then just turn the volume until it sounds like you want.

Last edited:
I am just starting to learn about reverb, and what exactly it is. I knew before somewhat, but am trying to learn what it truly is and how to apply it to string and piano like stuff.

Right now I have a beautiful string part I have made. I use EastWest Symphonic Orchestra, and in the reverb part of the interface it has a few options. They have over one hundred different preset reverb effects to choose from, such as cathedral, large hall, small hall etc.

I am trying to get the strings in my song to sound like they are in a large hall or cathedral, so basically lots of reverb I guess is what I am looking for. So I have chosen the cathedral effect, but there are also two more options, volume and pre-delay.

I read online that pre-delay is the time it takes for the first reflections to be heard after the initial sound has been produced...? Assuming this is correct, how does volume work into this? And how do I combine the two to emulate that cathedral/large hall sound I am looking for?

The pre-delay is just like putting a delay before the reverb plugin, to separate the source sound and the reverb plugin sound from playing together.

If you have created a great reverb sound but still somehow you feel like the source signal is getting drowned in the reverb (and you're sure it's not the reverb delay or anything else that's causing this)
then the pre-delay will help you keep that exact sound you've created, but it will push the reverb a bit back... thus the source sound is coming upfront, breathing a bit more.

Even 5 or 10ms of this can create a huge difference. Too much and the reverb will kick in too slow.
No pre-delay and the sound will drown in reverb.

The East West company has some fantastic reverbs and if it sounds good to your ears, then don't fix what's not broken!

Back