Question About Recording myself

R

ryan night

Im picking up my skills and I want to start recordings my stuff so that I can hear what Im doing and improve on it. Now I have 2 turntables mixer, moniters yanno the set up. I also Have a Windows PC with good sound card and CD burner. Now could anyone tell me what I need to do to make cont. Mixes be able to get recorded either to my computer or by other means. If my something else, then please let me know what I need to get to make tapes,CD's etc. Please give me some advice..thanks

Sure let me help you out for this.

Get yourself a "RCA (male, left and right)-> 3.5 Stereo (male)" jack cable (gold, good quality).

Plug the mixer's LINE OUT to the PC LINE IN

open your sound options in the PC (double click on the small speaker icon next to your clock) and ENABLE line-in in BOTH PLAYBACK AND RECORD modes.

Get yourself Sound Forge, or another WAV editor. Open it, and set the RECORD to 44.1Khz, 16Bit, Stereo.

Set the volume of the mixer to half (NOT max!) and play something.. make sure you can hear your mixer's sound in the PC speaker.

Press RECORD, you will start capturing the mix... do some tests first.. You can save your WAV file on your hard drive and play it anytime you wnat.. burn it on a CD, or even encode it as a MP3.

Make sure it doesn't "clip" (ie get too loud).

If you have problems you know where to ask :D

thanks!

thanks Mano...that is just what I needed...ill be sure that you get the first copy of my first mix im gonna put out :). Ill send you the spec's on the Numark Pack ASAP. ;) later

yesss :D:D:D
glad i could help ya

pdrums.gif

good point on the "clipping"....I learned the hard way....assembled/orchestrated one of my best sets, and when I listened to the playback, the bass was SUPER distorted. Safe bet---------->red dots on mixer/computer VU meters----------->BAD!!!!

thank youuuuuuuuuuuu........this is just what I needed..................very nice job in explaining..

yes yes

mucho gracias..on the tips...specially sik :) later

I was just curious:

Is there any other good (maybe freeware or shareware) programs for recording other then Sound Forge? Could you use the demo version of Goldwave? Or what about Windows Sound Recorder (assuming you were gonna do any other editing in another program or that yer mix would sound perfect w/o editing)? I know I can get a copy of CoolEditPro from a friend.. does it work?

Also, do u need a very fast processor alot of ram just to record? Or a fast HD or something? I am getting a new computer in the future but right now I am stuck w/ a 166..?

Thanks!
-jedd

i doubt u need a very fast processor, or even alot of ram (maybe at least 128, but it can be less).......basically all u need is a good sound card.,....and a decent program../......the hard drive does not even matter, unless ur gonna record for a vvvveeeerrrrryyy long time. so long that it fills up all the space on the comp..as for the answer to ur first question....im not sure.i would think u could use another program..

Cool Edit Pro is good

And a fast hard drive is preferable. What to look for is SUSTAINED transfer rate ( not burst ) of around 20MB ( for multitrack recording and playback , much less for just stereo ) and access time of <10ms . These will be mentioned in the specs of the drive.

Slow drives can lead to spikes and glitches appearing in the audio stream. If you are only doing stereo editing this will not be so important.

Get lots of RAM 128MB a must , 256MB a nice weight.

Preferably have two drives , one for programs and one for audio. You will be defragmenting the audio one alot.

[Edited by RobinH on 02-13-2001 at 01:47 PM]

Back