Question about octaves and frequencies !!!

TomAusProducer

So i've been at this for a while now and admittedly there are things that i should've bothered to learn already at this point. So just for the sake of learning i listen to alot of Avicii tracks because they're really good (big fan here) and they're not too intricate but still give off really awesome vibes. Avicii said he wasn't too technical when he mixes, but an experienced sound engineer or producer would say (atleast with an Avicii track) that you can definitely get the song sounding 95 percent done simply by just switching up the octaves on the sounds until they match. I have a question about exactly that. When listening to songs, i can kind of tell that the sounds for example the "Avicii by Avicii" version of addicted to you. Hes using two or three synths to created the lead, and they sounds really close together but they sound really good. How? Where i could just grab two sounds and throw them in, match them as well as possible without mixing and they wont sounds professional. They'll sound ....okay, but they wont create that vibe. That initial vibe of a song with potential that hasnt reached the mixing stage yet. As everyone has, i watched that future music video with him making dancing in my head. At the stage where he was figuring out the bridge he plays back the main leads and the kick bass, and its sounds really good! It doesnt sound like he's ruined the sounds by cutting all the "unnecessary" frequencies. He's managed to (as he says for arrangement sake) create that vibe just with melody and switching up the octaves and sounds. There has to be some method or technique to do this? Sorry that was long

I think that comes with the artists intuition, mate. You can find (in this case) a synth that sounds great, but sounds ****ing out of this world when paired with another one or two. Just need to be patient I think, and it's never a good idea to skip mixing.

Back