Question about maximus

Coleman1

Coleman1
I just noticed now, whilst playing around with it's presets (no I don't use presets when I master), that the "Clear Master RMS" preset makes everything louder and doesn't really sound compressed that much? It cuts off all the peaks on the master due to an eversoslight amount of soft saturation but doesn't sound over compressed? Another thing I noticed was how tight the bass was, which I'm always after. Sometimes when I try to compress the low end to make it more punchy and tight, it kind of kills it a bit, which is the opposite of what I want. Why does this preset make most things sound tighter yet not over compressed?

Last edited:
Hard to say. It'll make different songs sound different. Perhaps you found a preset that really works for that particular song you applied it to. The same preset won't always work for different songs.

I think it's just because it compresses it quite a lot to make it louder. I'm not actually using it, was just curious on what people thought of the way its settings are.

I've always found compression hard to hear except in terms of loudness, it's usually a very subtle effect in terms of sound quality unless you absolutely hammer it or sidechain.

Back