Question about Audio Interfaces...

Magical_

Since audio interfaces provides a much better sound card, does that mean plugging my headphones into them will result in a better sound? (given the event that my headphones have low impedance, around 35 Ohms - Audio Technica M40x) will it make a significant difference between listeining / monitoring music Direct input to my computer, or headphones plugged into my audio interface (entry level interface, under $200)

Theoretically you have two things that are nicer - the headphone amp, and the digital to analog converters. So both contribute in better sound. That said, even the cheap audio chips that are built into every computer are not nearly as horrible as they were, say, ten years ago (or more like at the turn of the millenium) - with an entry-level interface and headphones, you might or might not notice a big difference. Note that even small changes in volume are easily perceived as changes in quality, which is more than often the case when you try to compare these kind of things without actually setting up a neutral test environment - there have been tests that include built-in chips and expensive, standalone DACs and in most cases when the volumes are carefully matched most people can't tell the difference, even with expensive headphones.

Of course, this is not to say there isn't a difference - there are, and they're not insignificant but stacking "low-end" components will probably mask these differences just as stacking high-end gear will bring them out. In other words, the effects are cumulative - you have to upgrade everything in order to be able to hear that stuff. For now you can be content that your setup is probably good enough :)

Back