Protecting your ears?

What are some tips you guys use to protect your eyes while mixing?

I've heard taking breaks during long mixing sessions is useful. :)

I don't do anything out of the ordinary. I simply don't mix at high volume and usually take 15 min after one hour mixing.

I've actually read that mixing at low volumes is better for making your music sound good. But as long as you're not cranking your music nonstop day after day you should be fine.

Yes, the simple stuff works-- Don't go over 85 dB (less is better), take breaks, no marathon mixing sessions if avoidable (not only your hearing, but the music will suffer); if using headphones, make sure the volume is at a reasonable level.

No, that's pretty standard (but still take breaks!!).

But I wouldn't do all-nighters or try to finish an album in a weekend or anything (not at my advanced age, anyway).

I wear dubs ear plugs helps bring down the volume -12db so it's not so harsh on my ears plus breaks in between and I never ever wear headphones to listen to music anymore ..unless I'm using my mixing headphones to not wake people up at my house ���� but at a very low volume

I don't mix too loud.. I don't see the benefit, it just wears you out quicker, damages your ears...

Also if you bombard your ears with loud dynamics for a while, they go into a kind of shutdown mode...
it'll literally act like a compressor and dampener and you no longer get a clear picture of what's going on with your track anyway so any further mixing will probably just ruin it..

Mixing at Low volume works great for me. Take a breaks when mixing.

Hears should be fine if you mix with low volume.

Back