Problem recording with Sound Forge

mt_spiffy

I have been using Sound Forge for some years. I have tapes and otherwise analog recordings of audio I record onto my computer as WAV files by plugging the tape player (or otherwise) into the computer's line in jack.

I was attempting to do the same tonight. I hit record and no sound occurs, the meters on the Sound Forge recorder do not "dance". So I check the recording mixer, and it is set to "line in" and an appropriate level. I am hearing sound when I engage "line in" on the playback mixer but it is not registering for recording.

My first thought is, oh crap I fried my soundcard. When I first turned the tape player on, it's volume was rather high (I'm coming out of the headphone jack) and there was a good deal of distortion.

HOWEVER I then tried to record with the little dinky Windows "Sound Recorder" and, guess what, it worked perfectly.

WHY would it record well in Sound Recorder but not in Sound Forge? For the record, when I crank the line in record lvel, and the volume on the tape player, and record in Sound Forge, it records both very faintly, and distorted. Like it's muted somewhere.

Help!

Thanks

Did you check your tabs, I can't remember exactly what it is called but I think it is devices, to make sure your sound card is the one that is chosen for recording and playback? Also verify that your soundcard in device manager in windows is correct.

Gigabetz said:
Did you check your tabs, I can't remember exactly what it is called but I think it is devices, to make sure your sound card is the one that is chosen for recording and playback? Also verify that your soundcard in device manager in windows is correct.

If that was the problem, why would it work in Sound Recorded? BTW I also tried "line in recording" with Music Match Jukebox and that works as well. Only Sound Forge isnt working!

He means check the tabs in Sound Forge. In Sound Forge go to:
Options/Preferences then click on the wave tab and make sure your soundcard is selected in the record and playback menu.

Larry

Wouldnt you know, that worked
. I have never messed with those tabs before so I have no idea why it worked before, and then stopped working, but I switched back to the sound card and now all is well.

Thanks!

mt_spiffy said:
... I have never messed with those tabs before so I have no idea why it worked before, and then stopped working, but I switched back to the sound card and now all is well.

Thanks!

Glad it worked... One of those strange anomalies?!!?

Back