Pro tools Vocal Effects

anon83

I'm curious as to whether or not there is an effect on Pro Tools that will allow you to distort your voice. I'm looking for a "Talkbox" sound, similar to the one Roger Troutman would use. I was listening to an old song by Teddy Riley and Blackstreet called "If u need a fix" and i also heard the sound in it as well. If any one knows can you please let me know, it would be much appreciated.
thanks!

use an eq cut the lows and highs and boost the mids that creates the telephone talkbox kind of effect
if you have visual representation you want to basically create a bump in the middle with the frequencies on the far left and right non existant
it you just have standard protools plugins you can use three one band eqs a low pass and a high pass and a peak dip

Check out Bomb Factory's Cosmonaught Voice. I use it on a lot of my mixes, also any of the guitar amp modeling plugins work really well. Amp Farm is one of the greatest plugins out there for this type of effect.

anon83 said:
I'm curious as to whether or not there is an effect on Pro Tools that will allow you to distort your voice. I'm looking for a "Talkbox" sound, similar to the one Roger Troutman would use. I was listening to an old song by Teddy Riley and Blackstreet called "If u need a fix" and i also heard the sound in it as well. If any one knows can you please let me know, it would be much appreciated.
thanks!

I doubt you will find a plugin that will give you a "talkbox" effect.

Also, a "talkbox" is not actually an effect on a voice - - it is an effect on an instrument. It takes an instrument sound and records it resonating through your "mouth hole" (for lack of a better term :) .)

If anything, i would compare it most to a "wah" (or automated filter) effect. In some sense, a "talkbox" is similar in principle to a vocoder... but it is really nothing like a vocoder... except for that you can make "word" sounds with it.

Native Instruments' Guitar Rig has a "talk wah" module that sounds like a talk box. The Guitar Rig package also allows a whole bunch of creative distortion (and comes with a USB foot controller for sweeping the talk wah).

Audio Ease released the Nautilus Bundle (well, either that or the Rocket Bundle. It's been a few years since I made music at my old Mac.) which had a "vocal filter" effect called Roger. Pretty cool.

The latest version of Prosoniq's Orange Vocoder adds the ability to string vowel and consonant sounds together, for an odd "vocal-type" sound. It's not talk-boxy, though, just vocalish.

-Hoax

On those songs as well as all other blackstreet and guy songs Teddy is using a actual talkbox you can't get a plug-in for it because it sends instrument tones from the tube to your mouth then you shape the words so you need a mic and a amp for it.

Back