Poor recorded vox

G

How do you fellow engineers go about a session where one verse is tracked in one place and the other verse is tracked in another. They sound completely different and it is apparent. Of course the easier choice is to re-record, but of course, we do not always have that luxury. Do you just mix it best you can?

Recently I had a session where the vox were filtered removing all the low end and most of the mids with a boost of the HF. The artist told me he watched the engineer do it, he didn't like it at all (idk why he didn't tell him that) but now I'm stuck with it.

Honestly, they may have to re-record. No way around it unless you put an effects plugin on it like a guitar amp or something for both verses to to make em sound distorted. If it's a song where the beat is open for vocals and the words have to be clear or really stand out, you may be out of options as far as mixing goes.

I've dealt with the same issue you're dealing with many times and I've had to turn down certain projects because the vocals were severely unequal in quality on the verses. But hey, maybe some engineer guru will drop a comment after mine with some magic method or something :)

In that kind of situation, I try to use EQ as best I can make the vocals sound somewhat consistent. Also, sometimes an artist sends me a vocal with reverb that isn't on any instrument. I tend to route the vocal and other tracks to the same reverb & effects to get a consistent sound.

yep the only solution is to apply the same processing to the other vocal parts to create consistency of sound

or get the untreated vocal part - the "engineer" should not have printed the final version over the top of the originally recorded part unless they were being totally incompetent....

The way I would approach this is as followed.
1. Choose the vocal you think sound better, or the vocal you think you can manipulate with eq the most.
2. Get that vocal to sound as close as you can to the other vocal.
3. Bus both vocals to the same mono aux.
4. Mix the two as one so you can get some consistence with the both of them.

Back