phasing phasing phasing

D

Diabolical

I have been experimenting with several mics on my guitar amplifier in order to increase my mixing options -close mic sm57 and room condensor mics. However phasing has become the bane of my recording enjoyment. I am wondering if anyone knows any mic placement methods or tips to avoid this. Something about the distance between mics and the direction they are pointing????? I'm not sure.
Cheers!

Heya. i've tried these two methods, and been getting preety good results.

1) i turn the amp all the way up, and put a mic infront (make sure no guitar etc, is plugged in!!! u wanna listen to the hiss). i set up a headphone feed back to me and move the mic around the cone of the amp. basically, what youre listening to is white nise (i think), and at the point when it sounds in phase, is proablally the best spot to place the mic. (tip from Butch Vig, studio sound interview)

2) i place the mic DEAD center. Its always worked for me. tried off axis placements, but its always been dead center thats worked best. never a problem with phase, and loads of tone. Of cos, opnions would differ.

There is a button on all decent mixing desks .... phase reverse.

Try it in and out , on both mics.

Try putting one mic behind the amp , close in to the speaker ... and then another close in front. I have often found this can give good results when the phase reverse switch is played around with.

If you have no phase reverse button you can make a lead up to do the same job. Just rewire the cold to hot on one end of the lead. This lead will now reverse the signal of anything passing through it. Be sure to mark it !

Last edited by a moderator:
Back