percussion vs instruments in a mix

StanleySteamer

hey guys as the title says, I am mixing trap music and for me I place the instrumental and percussion alot lower than the actual drums obviously so that the drums have their own space and room. My lowest things are normally percussion or instruments depending on how I am mixing but lately I have been struggling to get a good balance. I was wondering if anyone had some advice on what they do? I have heard people say they use LPF down to about 6k on their instruments so that above that the percussion can shine through the mix and still be mixed down low. I have heard others say just leave the percussion on top of the instruments or leave the instruments down below the percussion. Any advice would be much apprecited!

Little different style of rap but I often mix the vocals, drums, and bass first with everything else off. After that, I add in the extra instruments, percussion, random noises, etc and try to pan them out for a good spread and keep the volume low enough that they don't detract from the core of the mix... Also if you don't sidechain much it'd be worth looking into

Be sure to use Volume and Pan knobs from master mix for better results, so you can distinguish every instrument.

Check this guy YouTube

Good luck :)

Back