Parallel processing questions

hustch01

I want to put more energy in my mixes without the dynamics being squashed too much. I've experimented with a few side chaining techniques such as parallel compression but struggle a lot determining when to use them. Can someone shed some light on when is a good time to use parallel processing? Also, let me know if you have any useful settings, in particularly drums.

A couple things.. Sidechaining isn't parallel processing, but can give a song more energy by the movement it creates. I feel like people defend dynamics because they hear old school mixing engineers say it, and don't really know what it means. reducing dynamic range can actually make the track sound like it has more energy because it makes it louder if you add back in the gain you took away with the compressor.

Parallel processing is a compromise between making something in your face and preserving the signal of the original sound. It sounds like you need to spend a lot more time reading tutorials online and watching videos on compression. It can take a long to really understand how and why to use them.

If you've ever used an effect on an aux/send channel, that's parallel processing. Of course it's often used for something more complex, or at least more fancy-sounding stuff, but it's as simple as that: you're processing two (or more) duplicates of the same audio with different fx chains, in parallel, and mixing them together.

Send the track you want to make more energetic to an AUX track, pre fader. Then over compress it, don't be afraid of it sound squashed.

Then pull the fader down and slowly raise it until you notice it in the mix, then pull it back a couple of db.

You shouldn't really notice it, but when you mute it you will feel like there's something missing.

Back