Paid $478 on a vocal booth & I'm gone make it do whut it do

datboysc

Ok so I recieved my vocal booth yesterday and I finally got the frame up today. I had to take the foam down because I had to tighten bolts etc.
The booth is cool but not what I expected. It's basically a frame with no walls, just foam on the top, back, and both sides. The door is actually is velcro. I have it isolated from my pc, audio interface, monitors, ect.
My question is, Do you think I can get a good sound from this booth. I have attached the setup & directions with this post. I need your input. I messed up these black fasteners that you put through the foam around the pole, so I have to pick up some more fasteners.
Holla at me with your thoughts and input.

Aw man.. You could have built that for $50 with some 2x4 wood, some screws, L brackets and some heavy blankets.

That black foam isn't going to do much at all.

Honestly I don't know if it will give you a good sound, try it and see, I just think the money could have been better spent.

But if your happy with it them cool.

I feel the same way just a live & learn situation. I have to buy some new fasteners to connect the foam to the poles. Any suggestions with that let me know, I dont really wanna damage the foam.

ok I appreciate that damn I really want my music to sound good. I record with a fast track pro and I have an AKG Perception 420. I figure if I get that booth up it might come out good but I know I wont be able to have my monitors up so I can prevent any bleed hopefully the velcro door can keep most noise out

u know this is a question u should've asked before u bought it right? ;)

hey, the whole point is to block out unwanted sound from ur surroundings.. so depending on your setup, it might deliver a good sound for u man. i doubt it'll keep out the sound from your speakers if u leave em playing during recording, but it should keep out computer noise and other higher pitched sounds.

u might have been able to spend the money a little better by doing it yourself, but hey.. i don't think it's that big of a waste. it might suit you well.

i was just listening to some old Biggie, and honestly some of the songs sound like they were recorded in a living room. so yeah... just focus on the song and make it sound as clean/clear as possible. don't worry about sounding like ur in a million dollar vocal room.

@CPhoenix How do I achieve that? I'm talkin' about not bein able to block out the speakers. I like to hear the playback when I'm playin the engineer role, I like to hear what the artist is doing

Put 12cm rockwool delta 212 panels behind the foam and stand with your back in the booth while recording.

It's not for isolating your monitor output.. just to get a dry recording. Why not use a headphone while recording? If you want to isolate your monitor output you'll need to put them in another room..

Last edited by a moderator:
Turn the monitors off (temporarily). Get a dual jack for headphones that way you can hear exactly what the artist is hearing i.e. music and vocals. This may be a work around meaning another way to accomplish what you want to do.

yea I'm hoping it work putting the foam up today. I already have the SE reflexion filter too. But I hear ya about the dual jack and listening from headphones but I guess I want to hear directly from monitors. I really thought you could at least prevent the output of the monitors.

yea I'm hoping it work putting the foam up today. I already have the SE reflexion filter too. But I hear ya about the dual jack and listening from headphones but I guess I want to hear directly from monitors. I really thought you could at least prevent the output of the monitors.

if you already had the reflection filter why did you purchase this booth

looking at the booth my guess is you're going to get a real compressed dead sound while recording real vocal booths are diamond shaped with an angled ceiling and not covered with so much foam

my guess is that this would be best for like putting your noisy equipment in ie (Computer, External Hard drives,) and record using the Se reflection filter in the room and if you are worried about the monitors buy a simple headphone amp like the Presonus hp4 and record using headphones

Those things are a joke. They are no better than hanging duvets or heavy moving blankets from the ceiling (which is also about $425 cheaper). Actually, because of that idiotic door, the blanket trick will probably work a lot better!

You are not going to get isolation from the speakers without doing some serious hardcore construction with insulated walls, double wall construction and/or a few layers of alternating drywall, etc. I don't know if that booth was advertised for isolation, but it doesn't isolate anything. All it will do is knock down reflections (which is important, but it's not isolation).

Return the stupid booth, get your money back, and hang blankets.

@CPhoenix How do I achieve that? I'm talkin' about not bein able to block out the speakers. I like to hear the playback when I'm playin the engineer role, I like to hear what the artist is doing

Turn off your speakers and wear headphones while you're engineering.
That's what I do... and I built a double-walled wooden booth w/ insulation.

i hate too burst ur bubble.....but im just trying to help you out.

honestly.....you could have made that booth (prolly a more effective one) with PVC pipeing and about 8 fire blankets.

if you can return that thing. i certianly would......i think you would have wayyyyyy better results with say a shure sm7b which is a microphone and not sound proofing.

'stay on topic you' think?

well seriously it seems like a sm7b is your best bet in your particular recording situation. Frankly im too lazy too go into depth why the sm7b is your ticket.

im sure other seasoned guys here will agree that a sm7b can work wonders when you have little to no sound treatment.

return that thing.....spend 350 on a sm7b and then spend the other hundred on a m audio dmp3 or a studio projects vtb1.

i gurantee your vocals will be leaps and bounds better then you using a akg 420 into a fasttrack in a not so effective issolation chamber.

um.....btw......before i even thought of the words vocal booth.......if i was you id think about getting a REAL preamp......the fast track is a audio interface ....i mean sure it has a cheap ass preamp in it.....your sooooo not doing yourself justice thinking thats a good enough pre.

a proper vocal chain atleast consist of a microphone > a preamp> a audio interface.

right now you have a microphone> and a audio interface.

your haste has caused you too over look / not purchase essential peices of the puzzle.

ill say again return that crap.

your shoping list needs too be

(in order of priotiry)

preamp
microphone
then maybe MAYBE if needed some HOMEMADE sound treatment.

ask questions first......before you waste ur money next time.

Last edited:
shout to everybody keeping it real.....real talk I just want a good sound maybe I was moving to fast but I'm gone see whats up with it.....keep ya thoughts coming

Back