Over compression

B

bigsquare

Hi,
anyone got any idea what kit I'd need to get that over compressed feel to a track - A La, phat house tunes / Daft Punk/ Basement Jaxx where the bass drum kick drowns the levels of the other sounds giving that slightly pumping feel?

I'm currently using a Behringer Composer Pro and that's been designed not to 'pump' at all - which is nice for most stuff but I wanna put something else on the mix insert to have pumping. Maybe a Joe Meek VC1Q or something?

Ta,

Can't really tell if this will do what I want - it just seems like an enhancer to me, I want to over compress.

Cheers anyway.
Ta,

hmmm im not familiar with the behringer compressor does it have an output gain control ? if it does im pretty sure u can set the attack time and adjust the gain control to give u that tight feeling

Pump

|Slow off the attack on your compressor to about 40ms
and the realease to about 99ms apply loads of compression( try 30dbs) and turn the gain up until just before the input clips. That should sound good on a entire mix for an unaturalpumping effect

hmm, yeah, that should do the job but I think I'll apply that to just the bass and drums and leave the rest of the track in a separate compression setup - don't want to make it all sound fake.

I'll give it a go but I think the composer tries it's best not to pump and any attempts I've had so far have failed. I probably need a Joe Meek or something.

Ta

Back