Outboard Analog Gear

ROBICHEAUX

I have a guitar pedal I wanna pass some of my stuff through. I'm using FL Studio. What gear do I need and how do I do this?

You need a reamp box, a direct box and a mic preamp. You can replace the reamp box and direct box with two passive direct boxes an use one in reverse.

DAW interface line output -> reamp (or reversed passive DI if you pad the output from the DAW, or in a worst case scenario, bring the volume down in the DAW) -> guitar pedal -> DI -> mic preamp -> DAW interface line input.

Good luck. It's fun, albeit pretty messy with the cables and boxes

Thank you so much! Also, I watched your mixing videos, they were incredible! Thanks!

WIll the micpream output be guitar cable sized or headphone sized? Will I need some kind of I/O?

Thank you so much! Also, I watched your mixing videos, they were incredible! Thanks!

WIll the micpream output be guitar cable sized or headphone sized? Will I need some kind of I/O?

I assume "headphone sized" means a basic 1/8" miniplug - they're pretty much nonexistent in the pro audio world (besides patch cables for modulars). Preamp output will be either 1/4" TR(S) or XLR. You'll need an interface with at least one extra pair of i/o to do this.

Alright thank you! I can't wait till I have the money to buy all that gear!

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 PM ----------

What is the function of the direct box? Can I use a mixer I have?

DI boxes are usually used to connect line level equipment (or basses & guitars) to mic inputs. A reamp box is basically - as mentioned - a "reverse" DI, in the sense that it converts line level back to "guitar level", suitable for stompboxes. You *can* use the pedals without one, but it probably won't sound like it should. Some pedals, like Moog's 'Fooger line, are designed to be used with synths (and whatnot) from the get-go, so not everything's built the same. Some mixers and interfaces also have "hi-z" inputs, which are essentially the same as DIs, so you don't necessarily need yet another box to go back into the box from the effects.

Back