Which one of these two methods should I use for mixing vocals ?

justanuser

Hey guys. Before I proceed to anything, let me just say that I'm new to vocal editing and working with a DAW overall. I mean... I know my ways around but if you take the time to explain something, don't make it too complex. Just imagine you're explaining it to a retard. Thank you :)
SO... I've been trying to learn how to edit vocals so I can record + mix n master my songs at home. Have in mind that I want to edit Rap vocals. So, I found 2 tutorials. One of them is a topic which a guy has posted and the other one is a video. The guy with the video doesn't really explain what he's doing, but if yall say he's doing it right, then I don't really need an explaination. NOW... the guy with the Topic seems explains everything in detail, BUT I think the tutorial is about mixing vocals for a different genre of music. The video is 10 minutes which is short I guess, but the topic is really long if you read the whole thing. So what I was going to ask IS, if somebody could check the video and then check JUST the steps on the topic tutorial and see if it's going to help for rap vocals. I just wanna know which tutorial to follow. Thank you if you took the time to read and answer ^^:D
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_OnQpf6SIk
Topic: Mixing Vocals: A 13 Step Guide For Beginners

In short, the guy in the video has no know how at all, it's bullshit what he's saying/showing. The text tutorial is quite a good starting point. But don't forget that one source never tell you all you could know. Even to know what's 'wrong' is good to know, so you maybe take a look at the video either, but don't do what the guy is doing. ;)

Last edited:
Mixing vocals tips in 4 steps:

1. Compressor + Noise Gate to both bring it forward in the mix & to eliminate the parts of the silence
2. EQ - Fix the sound of the vocalist, make it sound as close to a real life performance and give him some presence
3. Hiss remover - To eliminate the "SSSS" in his sings when not using a high quality microphone
4. Reverb - to give him some space

Hope this helped

I stopped that video at 0.35. If he believes what he just said in the way he just said it, he has a very missjointed understanding of all things audio. The rest of his advice could be just as damaging to your learning.

If you got the time and as a hobbyist or amateur you do always cut instead of using a gate 'cause it sound often better and more natural.

Back