Newbie Recording- Direct line/Tape output

The_Kid

The back of my mixer has a tape output that I can apparently hook up to a tape deck to record directly. How exactly would I do this (what kind of cables, what my tape deck has to have etc)? Also, can I use EQs while I'm recording?

Lastly, I would like to know how to directly record to my computer using the line-in input. What kind of cables do I need, and what software would I use to record? I have the Voyetra AudioStation 32 and AudioView 32 software, and a TBS Montego II sound card. The mixer I would be using would be a Numark Pro SM-1 scratch mixer.

Forgive my newbie-ness, I'm just a lowly scratch DJ. Thanks.

Anyone? Anyone?....... Bueller? Damn you "recording" guys don't take very kindly to us scratchers eh? :confused:

yea the tape output is usually the same as the Main output on a desk. So long as your mixer is Analog (i.e. real knobs all over it) then you can use any control you like on it while recording from that output. (and most digital mixers would let you anyway).

As for cables = just a suitable one to go from the mixer to the tape deck - i.e. plugs that fit!

My guess is that if they bothered to include a tape output, then the main output is probably at +4Db, and the tape output at -11Db. So, you would probably have to use the tape outputs to go into the computer without having Db issues, unless your soundcard has +4 inputs. At least, that's what I have had to do with almost every mixer I've ever used. The only exception was a fairly cheep Tascam digital mixer a friend of mine has that only worked at -11.

Back