Neumann TLM103 vs Rode Classic 2 users?

C

Carambel

Hey guys, need some info again.
I'm about to buy a serious microphone for my home studio, and i'm wondering what to get.
I tought maybe the neumann would be good because of the nice tight bottom end (i like it very much).

I never actually have heard a Rode classic2 but many say it is also excellent.

And then maybe there are even some more possibilities...?

I need a class mic for mainly vocal recording on House tracks.

thanks

Carambel said:
Hey guys, need some info again.
I'm about to buy a serious microphone for my home studio, and i'm wondering what to get.
I tought maybe the neumann would be good because of the nice tight bottom end (i like it very much).

I never actually have heard a Rode classic2 but many say it is also excellent.

And then maybe there are even some more possibilities...?

I need a class mic for mainly vocal recording on House tracks.

thanks

I am very curious about the RØDE Classic-II.

Having just learned about it 2 days ago, I almost bought one just based on the fact that it is a "RØDE" and I love their stuff so much.

I have a Neumann U87 and a RØDE NT-2, and the NT-2 kicks its ass... I have been using an NT-2 for a few years now and am really happy with it. Every once in a while I think to myself "I'm gonna try that Neumann on these vocals" then I use it and hate it and use the NT-2.

By the way, I spoke to "Jacques LuCont" a couple of months ago (he produced the latest Madonna album) and he told me that the NT-2 is one of his favorite mics, too. He said that was the mic used on all of Madonna's vocals on the album.

The NT-K also is great on the right voices. I am not too crazy about the AKG 414.

But that is just my opinion... different people like different things.

Are you sure you want to limit your choice to those two...

This is what we use for most of our vox recording:
http://www.gefell-mics.com/grp_2_prod_1.htm

I reckon it's way underrated and perhaps quite unknown but perfect for them House/Garage diva vocals that can deliver very high sound pressure. From whisper to screaming it always stays transparent also in the 'critical' 1-2khz area at high SPL. Btw it sports the M7 capsule, the (in)famous one used in vintage Neumanns.

Side note: I'm in no way affiliated with or endorsing Gefell ;)

easy
B#

R2B said:
Are you sure you want to limit your choice to those two...

This is what we use for most of our vox recording:
http://www.gefell-mics.com/grp_2_prod_1.htm

I reckon it's way underrated and perhaps quite unknown but perfect for them House/Garage diva vocals that can deliver very high sound pressure. From whisper to screaming it always stays transparent also in the 'critical' 1-2khz area at high SPL. Btw it sports the M7 capsule, the (in)famous one used in vintage Neumanns.

Side note: I'm in no way affiliated with or endorsing Gefell ;)

easy
B#

ok, i might like this to.
You don't happen to have some sound samples of vocals recorded with this mic?

thanks,
Brice

Carambel said:

thanks,
Brice
Yes I do but I can't put them up anywhere for copyright reasons. I'll see if I can upload a snippet of a complete mix somewhere.

easy
B#

Carambel said:

thanks,
Brice
Here's a rough mix of an older track

This lady delivers some unbelievable pressure although she felt a bit poorly that day...

easy
B#

R2B said:

Here's a rough mix of an older track

This lady delivers some unbelievable pressure although she felt a bit poorly that day...

easy
B#

thanks man.
The mic indeed doestn't sound bad at all, but i'm really looking for a warmer sound...
The song then, istn't bad, but i personally think the sampling tricks you do around 48 sec are TOO much :)

grtz,
Brice

Carambel said:

thanks man.
The mic indeed doestn't sound bad at all, but i'm really looking for a warmer sound...
The song then, istn't bad, but i personally think the sampling tricks you do around 48 sec are TOO much :)

grtz,
Brice
Cheers mate.
I know exactly what you mean by warmer. I know the mic can do it but I suppose what you hear has a lot to do with my rubbish mixing skills. That's why I better stick to tracking and tricking... ;)

easy
B#

dvyce said:

I have a Neumann U87 and a RØDE NT-2, and the NT-2 kicks its ass... I have been using an NT-2 for a few years now and am really happy with it. Every once in a while I think to myself "I'm gonna try that Neumann on these vocals" then I use it and hate it and use the NT-2.

What was the audible difference between the 2?

dvyce said:

By the way, I spoke to "Jacques LuCont" a couple of months ago (he produced the latest Madonna album) and he told me that the NT-2 is one of his favorite mics, too. He said that was the mic used on all of Madonna's vocals on the album.

Good info!!

The rode is great but I prefer the TLM. It seems a bit smoother and richer in comparison.

Last edited:
Back